Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cicada invasion!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cicada invasion!

Here on the East Coast, we are starting to hear about the impending emergence of Brood II 17-year cicadas. Apparently billions of them. Yuck! I was wondering what to expect in terms of possible pool issues. I didn't have a pool for the last go around with these bugs, but I remember them kinda being everywhere. Any pool owners have problems when they came out last time? I have nightmares about having to scoop giant nets full of bugs out of the water!
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cicada invasion!

To be honest, I think the whole thing is a bit overrated and hyped. Kinda like Y2K !!!!!

When I was much younger I recall we dint have many at all in our pool.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I actually posted a similar question to this recently and received on response fairly quickly. Here is the link: cicadas-are-coming-t57293.html
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

We had them in Texas and now have them here in Kansas, not sure about pool issues but get some ear plugs!! Them suckers will drowned out your outdoor stereo speakers on concert setting!
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the link, Rocco. I used the search, but it didn't show me your post. At least that answer made me feel a little better!
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

6. Back To Top    #6

This is Brood II in the East. I've lived through three of them and always had a pool. They were positively brutal here in NJ in 1962 when I was 10. The carcasses covered everything--I mean everything--and the noise was infernal. My Dad, my brother and I would sit in the back yard and shoot them with a .22 sandshot gun. That was a blast. The next one in 1979 happened in a really wet spring and they seemed to really suffer for it. The last one in 1996 was also no big deal. Who knows what will happen this year...but I think some environmental factor has held them back. I guess we'll find out. I don't remember any pool issues other than having to empty skimmers more frequently.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.