AGP Pool - Pics after staining

Apr 27, 2012
High Point, NC
Hi All,

I have read that you all like pictures, and my family and I just finished staining our 30' x 40' deck that surrounds our 30' x 15' AGP. We made the choice apply the stain all by hand as I did not want to risk getting any in the pool, and had some issues maintaining a wet edge when I tried to use a roller. I am not sure I would recommend doing it by hand, as it took us probably 40+ man hours (had 3 other helpers and it still took 3 days, although it was not 8 hours per day for everyone). However, I am happy with the end result and wanted to share.

I chose to use TWP 100 for the stain. It had some good reviews on alot of the websites I visited, including one that tested it on a pool deck for over 2 years.

May update with the furniture in place (and the leaves vacuumed out of the pool) in a week or two.

Attachments

• Pool1a.jpg
    Pool1a.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 631
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 631
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 631
Speedo said:
We're about to stain our fence, this is perfect timing. I've seen TWP 100 mentioned.

That deck looks amazing! What color is the stain?

I went with 101 - Cedartone. I thought it was a bit lighter than it turned out to be, but I am happy it is darker, now that I have it done. The contrast with the pool looks nice.

I shopped online and found it for about $150 for 5 gallons with no shipping (needed 10 gallons). I saw prices as high as $195 for 5 gallons, so I thought the $150 with free shipping was good.

One last thing, do you have an estimate as to how much sq ft coverage was needed for your deck? TWP says 100-400 sq ft per gallon. That's a huge difference.. any advice? Thanks in advance.

I have a 30 x 40 deck (1200 sq ft) that encompasses a 30 x 15 oval (roughly 350 sq ft I think. My math is pretty shoddy on this one). I have a 12 x 12 deck (144 sq ft) that is between the pool deck and my house. Thus, I figure my floor sq footage at around 1000 sq ft (1200 - 350 + 144). However, I also had over 200 wood pickets and two sets of stairs to stain.

I used pretty much 9 out of the 10 gallons I bought. Thus, you could say that I got roughly 110 sq foot per gallon, but I used ALOT of stain on the pickets and stairs, so I would guesstimate that 200 sq foot per gallon was a bit more accurate.

Sorry I can't be more exact. I would suggest going with ~200 sq ft / gallon if you are mostly floor and/or have metal pickets. If you have alot of pickets or "non-floor" things to stain, I would go with 100-150 sq ft / gallon. In the end, I would rather have left over stain then run out and have to wait to finish something up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The deck looks great! We are about 2/3 finished with our above ground pool deck and I am looking ahead to stain/sealant options and I like what I am hearing about the TWP products. In your experience so far, has your deck been slippery when wet with the TWP finish?.

davidt said:
The deck looks great! We are about 2/3 finished with our above ground pool deck and I am looking ahead to stain/sealant options and I like what I am hearing about the TWP products. In your experience so far, has your deck been slippery when wet with the TWP finish?.

I have not noticed any slippery-ness at all. It just is stained wood after it dries and has the same feel (and splinters) as it did before staining.

So far, I have noticed two things: a) the deck is alot hotter now than it was before I stained it and b) I have to be careful with my bleach, as it will make light spots on my deck if it splashes up when pouring it into the pool.

Both of those are to be expected really, but I had not accounted for them and was a little surprised when I discovered them.

That's good to hear, I was most worried about the deck being too slick. I was also hoping to avoid the splinters and thought that since it is a stain/sealer that it would minimize splintering. Maybe there is no way to avoid splintering since it IS wood. Ours will be pressure treated pine. I think the exotic hardwoods are not supposed to splinter as much, but that decking comes with a much higher price tag.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.