Best way to heat a salt water pool

Apr 10, 2013
I am new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if there is already a thread or post on this topic.

I need to find the best way to heat a small salt water pool (~8,000 gal).

The caveats are:

1. The pool is located at the beach, so gas heaters probably aren't an option due to rust
2. If solar, there is only a space of ~10' to hold a panel. And the panel would have to be elevated about 8' off the ground which would increase the head height on the pump.

I would prefer to find something affordable <$1,000 and would raise the temp by a min of 5 degrees.

Other notable items: The pool is in direct sun from 9am - 5pm and is a white fiberglass inground pool.

Right now I'm leaning toward a solar heater, but wanted to know if anyone had further advice on the topic. Thanks for your help!

When you say salt water, do you mean ocean water, or just a fresh water pool with a salt water chlorine generator?

With that space limit it's going to be hard to get a solar panel to work well. Also we don't know where you're located so we don't know how strong the sun might be. The elevation constraint isn't an issue for most pumps.

It does sound like solar is your best bet, look at glazed solar panels though if space is at a premium, their price per btu of output is much higher than unglazed, but it may be an option, not sure on you budget, probably depends on if this is DIY or if your paying someone.

ExpediteGroup,

What you don't say is when do you want to be able to heat the pool or are you just wanting to extend your swimming a month or so either side of the winter months. This is also useful info on determining what to use to heat it.

Not sure you can really get much for less then $1000 unless it a do it yourself project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.