Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opening FC =0

1. Back To Top    #1

opening FC =0

last year I closed with good values (cya=40,ta=7.2,ect) this yeat I'm getting ready to open and have a couple of questions

The water temp is 57, pH=7.2, and FC=0 and just for understanding the CYA =40 From what I read here it says to bring the pool up to shock levels, but it says to bring it up to 3ppm. This is'nt what the table says shock level is, it says 16ppm. I can understand that after the winter I might not need to go to 16ppm but maybe I do, what is the correct level?

I'm trying to gather up all the chemicals that I will need to open tomorrow.

thanks for the help
    ____________________________________________________________ _____
    IG 25,000 gallon concrete painted pool,
    KDI American Products Model# 583090 Titan SS Vertical Grid 48sq ft DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: opening FC =0

I'm assuming that is your PH# of 7.2 and not your TA. Shock the pool per your current CYA level of 40. 16 sounds about right. What is your TA? Might need to grab some baking soda is my guess..........then raise your PH back up.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What does your water look like? Is your CYA still 40ppm?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Where do you see the shock valve of 3ppm? That is not correct.

What does the water look like? The safest method is to go through the shock process until you pass the 3 tests to stop. If you have little (none) growing in the water, then you will pass very quickly and be off to a good start.

You have not posted a full set of test results, so further advice on what chemicals you will need is difficult. What test kit are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Where do you see the shock valve of 3ppm? That is not correct.

What does the water look like? The safest method is to go through the shock process until you pass the 3 tests to stop. If you have little (none) growing in the water, then you will pass very quickly and be off to a good start.

You have not posted a full set of test results, so further advice on what chemicals you will need is difficult. What test kit are you using?
    Right I do need to get a full set of tests. I have a large kit dont remember that exact modeL But it is one of the reccomended kits here

The thread on opening a pool at the top of this section In the detailed section it says 3ppm

I will go through the process like you suggest right after I do a full set of tests But I'm guessing I will need at least 5 gallons of 8.25% bleach just to start...from the pool calc

thanks for the help

6. Back To Top    #6

I have never read that sticky I am pretty sure that recommendation is based on no CYA in the water ... which is not true in your case ... at least we don't think it is.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

filled the pool yesterday, cleaned, vacuumed, and applied DE to filter today also too readings:

The water looks cloudy and there was a lot of dirt on the bottom I closed it last winter and put a mesh cover over it.

FC = 0
    pH = 7.2
    TA = 40
    CH = 160
    CYA = 40
    CC = 0.5
    TC = 0.5
    POOL TEMP 56

This is my first time opening and I used the pool calc to come up with this:
    566 oz of bleach to shock at 15
    352 oz baking soda
    370 oz of calcium chloride

I'm assuming that I should just run the shock procedure to completion and the worry about the other things

does this all sou d about right? Any other suggestion are much appreciated as this is my first time-

thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree ... hit the bleach!!!
    When you finish the shock process, then maybe raise the TA and CH a little
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I shocked the pool on Friday night. Saturday I cleaned it a couple of times, but my vacuum wasn't working very well. Today I found that the basket has a handle that has to be removed to get a good seal at the skimmer. After that it cleaned up well. I also found that I was loosing water out the filter/pool to drain. I tried taking the multiport valve apart a few times finally getting it to seal and then no more water being pumped out.

Pool looks as good as it ever has. The FC is now 9.5 and CC is 0.

I thought the FC would come down quicker especially since I pumped out about 2" worth of water over night.

How long does the FC take to come down in a clean pool?

Thanks for the help!

Jim

10. Back To Top    #10

With CYA around 40 you should be losing (very roughly) half of your chlorine each sunny day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    With CYA around 40 you should be losing (very roughly) half of your chlorine each sunny day.

Thank you good to know this