Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump advice please

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump advice please

Hello folks... it's that time of year again!

I am needing to replace my pump. Mine has gotten so noisy I can only run it at night. Looking at 2 speed because my Aqua Bug vacuum turns into a snail with the one speed I have now. Would this be a good choice? If not, what should I look for?

Pentair 347990 OptiFlo Vertical Discharge 1HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor with 3' Standard Cord, 115V
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Pentair- ... 347990.htm

18' x 54" round AGP
    200# sand filter, not sure of diameter... it's huge, though
    Aqua Trol SWG
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump advice please

MeSue:

on looking at 2-speeds.

Two questions: (1) What is the HP rating of your current pump (ideally the HP times the Service Factor - should be located on the pump label), and (2) Aside from the noise, have you noticed a reduction in the flow rate of your current pump?

Also assuming you have already checked out and cleaned any in-line filters that are part of the Aqua Bug vac.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think it is a 1 HP, but we can not find it written anywhere on the label. It's a Waterway hi-flo, and it was given to me used with the filter a few years ago so I don't have any records on it. Some of the labels might have faded or worn off. I have not noticed a reduction in flow rate, it's just very noisy.

(
    Sue

Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone... Help?

(
    Sue

5. Back To Top    #5

Your current pump is a good one so if you wanted to replace it with the same thing, that would be fine.

You could also replace just the motor if the pump wet end is in good shape.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

The pump you linked to in your first post is also a good pump. It may be about the same cost to buy that one as it is to buy just a motor and seal kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you.
    Sue

8. Back To Top    #8

MeSue:

Didn't mean to leave you hanging. Soon after my post, I had to go out of town & just got back. Reading the posts of others who responded to your question, it looks like you are in good hands
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ordered the Pentair and it should be here in 2 days. All our previous pumps have been Waterway and have not lasted. Maybe we'll have better luck with Pentair.

Getting hot here in FL... looking forward to being up and running soon!

(
    Sue