Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me choose a correct pool heater...not sure of pool size

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me choose a correct pool heater...not sure of pool size

Spring is fast approaching and I've had two quotes now from companies for installing a natural gas heater for my pool.

I know nothing about my pool (just bought the house last year) and this year is my learning/maintenance session as last year I paid a company to maintain the pool.

I was told I need or should get a 250k btu heater but want to be sure I am on the right track. The company that impressed me the most suggested a LRZ 250 btu Jandy Zodiac Heater.

Here is the spec's I have of the pool left by the previous owner...

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo18 ... daa9c2.jpg

thoughts?

16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me choose a correct pool heater...not sure of pool

I am guessing your pool is around 17000 gallons.

Where do you live?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

London, Ontario Canada is my location.
    16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow! - This IS our pool. It is a 17 x 33 Oblique, Pacific Liner. Linen is correct as ours is 16,000 bottom of skimmer, closer to 17,000 at the top which is where we keep our water level. We have a Hayward Natural Gas heater (250).

You are just missing the slide!
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is another picture....

Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

6. Back To Top    #6

Really the size of a gas heater just determines how quickly you will be able to raise the temp. A 400k would heat faster, but costs more and requires a larger gas line.

Using a cover will be key regardless of the heater size.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

That makes sense to me.....the quote for the gas line, heater, concrete pad (no real room to put it in the shed and vent it) and bury the gas line is about 4700 bucks. Not cheap but from what i hear so worth it!
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

How long is the run for the gas line from the meter?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

On the quote it shows 72" but that does not seem right...I'd say 35 feet from the house to the pool house. It has to go under a walkway as pictured above. From the meter/furance where they have to run the pipe out would be around 30 feet...

The quote includes the concrete pad for the heater, digging the trench...etc. everything but the electrician to wire it in.
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

10. Back To Top    #10

UPDATE:

Our heater has been installed. Sweet!

I live in Canada and the heater sits outside my pool shed exposed to the eliminates. Do I need to built a lean to style cover or otherwise put a roof high over top to keep it somewhat out of the rain.....and do i cover it in the winter like you do your a/c unit?
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build