Slow motor on start up

CyclingCraig

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Central, New Jersey
So, I know if you just have a hum and motor doesn't spin up, it is most likely the start capacitor. That is, if your motor isn't seized

My issue is a little different, I have the motor off the pump and on my bench to work on. My motor starts, it just starts slow. Like takes 1.5 -2 seconds to spool up. Kind of like, when you plug it in, you get whuu, whuu, WHUU, WHUU, WHUU, WEEEEEEEEEE(full speed). Could that be the start cap too?

I took the cap off, and my digital voltmeter reads capacitance. It read the correct MFD for the capacitor, does that mean its still good?

Thanks
Craig

It could be the cap getting weak or it could be the centrifugal switch contacts not making good contact or it could be bad bearing(s) dragging it down. How easy is the shaft to turn by hand?
You can clean the cent sw contact with a fine emory board or very fine sand paper.

Thanks Bama,

The shaft spins pretty easy, I can give the impeller a good spin, but it stops within one second. But the shaft seems pretty free.

I'm going to try and clean the cent sw contacts as you suggest and give all the moving parts in there some lube. Maybe even see if I can get to the bearings a little.

I will see if any of that helps, but for like 8 bucks I can get a new capacitor too and just give it a try, Better than the price of a new motor :)

Based on your description of the noise, I'd guess bearings. They're most likely sealed, so they can't be lubed, only replaced, but you can get the pair for less than $20. If you don't mind throwing a little money at it, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the capacitor, too. Post back with what you end up doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.