Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Salt Cell vs. New System

1. Back To Top    #1

New Orleans, LA

Replacing Salt Cell vs. New System

Hey guys, looks like my salt cell is dead. I got five swimming seasons out of it, so not bad. I am really struggling though as some of you may remember with the pool chemistry....mainly thanks to hurricanes and pine trees. Before I drop $400 or so on a new cell what are some of the best brands of salt systems? In 2008 when I had this system installed this guy sold me one that looks like it was from 1999. No digital readouts, just some lights and a dial. It is a Resilience brand which no one locally services or covers. I am looking on EBay for some of the new Hayward systems and it looks like I can pick up a new one for around $700-800 with a newer digital readout and the whole kit and kaboodle including a new cell. What do you guys think?

P.S. I should also mention that the electrical connectors on my system seem to have gotten stripped and I am not even sure if it was the cell failing or the whole system crapping out.
    Pool size: Approx. 25,000 gallons
    Filter: Nautilus Pac-Fab 48 sq. ft. DE
    Inground plaster pool

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Replacing Salt Cell vs. New System

Hayward seem to have good systems ... kind of in the middle on features/price. I had one at previous house and going to be getting one at current house. Realize that you should be looking for a system speced to 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. So I would certainly be looking at the T-15 (40k) cell size.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Replacing Salt Cell vs. New System

Check out the compupool CPSC48 can be had/delivered for $750. No bells or whistles.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida