Problems With My Salt Cell

Apr 19, 2011
Have spent past week slowly getting pool ready for the new season. Took cell out and cleaned with acid, then reinstalled. Had some very suspect readings on my AquaRite controller, using a Hayward T-15 cell.

For instance, was getting "Hot" warning, also showing salt = 0.

At the same time, I've had a pump problem, which I've just resolved so now it's time to focus on the old salt cell. I guess I had hoped that once my pump issue was fixed that the increased water flow might help correct some of the questionable reading.

No luck. Now the temp says 132 degrees and salt says 900 (I just added salt this weekend). Salt test strip says 3970 right now.

If I turn on the controller to the Auto position at 20% - 50% the "Generating" light comes on for about 2 minutes, then I get a "Check Cell" and "Low Salt" warning and it shuts off.

Just a little background...moved into home in Fall 2011. Pool installed in 2008 by previous owner. I'm assuming that the T-15 cell is original, which would make it almost 5 years old.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Howard

General life expectancy is 3-5 years on the cell. Since you are getting readings on the controller, that is likely fine. I would suggest taking the cell to a pool store and having it tested to see if it is any good or if it is done for.

You raise an interesting question. Seems like maybe I should take my brand new cell in and have it tested to see what they actually do.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I took a salt cell in to the pool store last summer. They install it in a jig that runs water through your cell and their "known working" cell side by side and plug the connector into a control board. I don't exactly know what they DO to the cell but in my case they said the cell was bad and a new cell fixed my problem so the cell tester worked in my case.

Pool Clown said:
The next time someone is in a "pool store", could they snap a pic of this cell tester? I'm interested to see what it looks like. Is it really a tester? Or just a system hooked up to a pump and a tank?

If you've seen an aqua rite, you've see the tester. It has a good cell wired in to the system and plumbed into a manifold and the cell to be tested is plugged in like normal and screwed into the same manifold. You add salt water to the system and it reads and compares current through the cells(I assume). You can look down in them as it is testing and see the chlorine being produced or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.