Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Problems With My Salt Cell

Problems With My Salt Cell

Have spent past week slowly getting pool ready for the new season. Took cell out and cleaned with acid, then reinstalled. Had some very suspect readings on my AquaRite controller, using a Hayward T-15 cell.

For instance, was getting "Hot" warning, also showing salt = 0.

At the same time, I've had a pump problem, which I've just resolved so now it's time to focus on the old salt cell. I guess I had hoped that once my pump issue was fixed that the increased water flow might help correct some of the questionable reading.

No luck. Now the temp says 132 degrees and salt says 900 (I just added salt this weekend). Salt test strip says 3970 right now.

If I turn on the controller to the Auto position at 20% - 50% the "Generating" light comes on for about 2 minutes, then I get a "Check Cell" and "Low Salt" warning and it shuts off.

Just a little background...moved into home in Fall 2011. Pool installed in 2008 by previous owner. I'm assuming that the T-15 cell is original, which would make it almost 5 years old.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Howard
    25,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN

Re: Problems With My Salt Cell

General life expectancy is 3-5 years on the cell. Since you are getting readings on the controller, that is likely fine. I would suggest taking the cell to a pool store and having it tested to see if it is any good or if it is done for.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Senior Member In the Industry

The next time someone is in a "pool store", could they snap a pic of this cell tester? I'm interested to see what it looks like. Is it really a tester? Or just a system hooked up to a pump and a tank?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

You raise an interesting question. Seems like maybe I should take my brand new cell in and have it tested to see what they actually do.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Decided to bypass the pool store test and just ordered a replacement cell. Figured it was at the outer end of it's useful life.
    Howard
    25,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN

I took a salt cell in to the pool store last summer. They install it in a jig that runs water through your cell and their "known working" cell side by side and plug the connector into a control board. I don't exactly know what they DO to the cell but in my case they said the cell was bad and a new cell fixed my problem so the cell tester worked in my case.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

May I ask,how old was your cell at the time? Thank You
    12,000 gal. 14x28 Inground vinyl liner (2004), 1 HP. Jacuzzi magnum pump,
    Raypak heater, Jacuzzi laser sand filter,Autopilot DIG-220 SWG, 35/22 cell,
    TF-100 test kit,K-1766 saltwater test kit, speedstir

I bought it used and installed when I bought the house. I would guess it was about 5 years old. The typical life expectancy of a cell is 5 years depending on the manufacturer.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

Senior Member In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    The next time someone is in a "pool store", could they snap a pic of this cell tester? I'm interested to see what it looks like. Is it really a tester? Or just a system hooked up to a pump and a tank?
    If you've seen an aqua rite, you've see the tester. It has a good cell wired in to the system and plumbed into a manifold and the cell to be tested is plugged in like normal and screwed into the same manifold. You add salt water to the system and it reads and compares current through the cells(I assume). You can look down in them as it is testing and see the chlorine being produced or not.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source