Anyone here switched from sand to cartridge w/ quad filter?

Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I'm close to making the switch, I only have a solid 4 month season with a few extra weeks If I'm lucky and if ill run my heat pump on overdrive.

From what I understand and based on my pool size, I should only have to wash my cartridge filters once at the end of the season if I purchase a big unit like the Hayward swim clear c5030 525sqft.

Does anyone have any regret after having made the conversion?

Since the cartridge can filter much finer, is the water clarity noticeable in the daytime?

I'm assuming the night time clarity must be greatly improved?

Does any process change for your regular tasks like vacuuming, or opening the pool with a cartridge filter?

Re: Anyone here switched from sand to cartridge w/ quad filt

I am curious what is your reason for wanting to change?

I do not fit the profile of you subject line but...I have both types at my house...cart on hot tub and sand on pool. I also have a short pool season. With properly maintained pool chemistry you water will be crystal clear in the daytime regardless of which filter type you have. A night, you might see a slight (and I stress slight) advantage with the cartridge, though imo that can be made up by adding DE to sand filter. I sure wouldn't switch to a cart just to get clearer nighttime water, there are other ways.

One thing to remember about a cart filter is since you can't backwash, if you get algae, you will be cleaning it often during the shocking process. Cleaning carts is not my idea of fun. Also, if you get a lot of organic debris (such as leaf debris) and/or if you use a suction side cleaner, then just like backwashing more often, you may have to clean the cart more often. With that said, if you do get a cart, the one you listed is a nice oversized filter.

Given a pool of ~21k gallons, we would recommend a cartridge filter of 300+ sqft. The 525 is likely much larger than you would need with that short season.

You can certainly get the larger one, but you very well could get away with a single cleaning with a smaller, cheaper filter.

linen said:
I am curious what is your reason for wanting to change?

I do not fit the profile of you subject line but...I have both types at my house...cart on hot tub and sand on pool. I also have a short pool season. With properly maintained pool chemistry you water will be crystal clear in the daytime regardless of which filter type you have. A night, you might see a slight (and I stress slight) advantage with the cartridge, though imo that can be made up by adding DE to sand filter. I sure wouldn't switch to a cart just to get clearer nighttime water, there are other ways.

One thing to remember about a cart filter is since you can't backwash, if you get algae, you will be cleaning it often during the shocking process. Cleaning carts is not my idea of fun. Also, if you get a lot of organic debris (such as leaf debris) and/or if you use a suction side cleaner, then just like backwashing more often, you may have to clean the cart more often. With that said, if you do get a cart, the one you listed is a nice oversized filter.

So even though my cartridge is so oversized, I would still need to clean it during the pool opening when I'm shocking and when the water will most likely be green? I keep reading that I would get away with only one cleaning for the season but I didn't factor in opening and shocking as a separate cleaning.

My pool guy has got me thinking of switching over, he has been happier since making the switch but I haven't made up my mind. In my case I'm not very hands on so when it comes to dealing with sand, I've never been comfortable with opening my filter, or changing my sand.

I'm an IT guy, and I like to look at specs, I read the pool school stuff on filters and I get excited when I see that cartridges let you filter own to 10 microns where as sand is 30, maybe this means nothing in real world water clarity.

Currently my water isn't metered but it will be one day but that isn't a driving force but I like the idea of not losing water, the chemicals being kept in balance better.

I've also had seals break on sand filters before, maybe through my incorrect use but I'm assuming there is less to go mechanically wrong on a cartridge system?

You may get away with a single cleaning in a season ... ASSUMING ... you never have to go through the shock process. Once you get algae in the pool, all bets are off and you will likely have to clean the cartridge multiple times to get the pool clear. The same is true when you open. If you have algae, be ready to clean the cartridge to clear it out.

So, if you are methodical about maintaining the appropriate chlorine level and never get algae, the cartridge (or really any filter), should be pretty hands off. Once you get algae though, cartridges become the most work, followed by DE, and then sand being the easiest (although slower to clear the water).

jbliz, beat me but here is my take...

Rockstead said:
So even though my cartridge is so oversized, I would still need to clean it during the pool opening when I'm shocking and when the water will most likely be green?
If you open to a green pool, then a cartridge is not a great choice. However, we can help you reduce the likelyhood of opening to a green pool.

Rockstead said:
My pool guy has got me thinking of switching over, he has been happier since making the switch but I haven't made up my mind.
Does he say why?

Rockstead said:
In my case I'm not very hands on so when it comes to dealing with sand, I've never been comfortable with opening my filter, or changing my sand.
This boards concensus is sand should not need to be changed.

Rockstead said:
I like to look at specs, I read the pool school stuff on filters and I get excited when I see that cartridges let you filter own to 10 microns where as sand is 30, maybe this means nothing in real world water clarity.
Specs for me too :-D Others may disagree, but from what I have seen, this is more of a paper spec than something you really notice, even at nightime. Of course I have an agp, and my underwater lighting may not be as bright as some. If you are really serious about nighttime water clarity, then a DE filter would be even better than a cartridge. Again, you can add DE to a sand filter, and that can help achieve a higher level of nighttime clarity (whether or not it is really noticeable). Again, this is really a subjective criteria and you will get many opinions (one of which is mine...unfortunately).

Rockstead said:
I've also had seals break on sand filters before, maybe through my incorrect use but I'm assuming there is less to go mechanically wrong on a cartridge system?
In terms of valves, I would believe this is true. On the flip side though, the cartridges do need replacing after some use.

Have you tried skimmer socks? By catching some debris before it gets to the filter, you may be able to reduce the specs you are dealing with.

When it comes to cartridges, can I still vaccum to waste?

Or sometimes after heavy rain fall, I would set my sand filter to waste in order to get the pool level to the sweet spot of the skimmer.

Generally cartridge filters do not have multi valves, so there is no waste setting. If you are just trying to remove as little water, then you could have a spigot after the pump, but that would not work for vacuuming.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.