Why didn't I switch ages ago! Zodiac MX8 content

Unfortunately I don't get a chance with the palm tree and nesting Weavers. This is an annoying seasonal thing. Come winter and the palm will be cut down and I will have a net on the pool. Then the MX8 can retire to cleaning dust on the pool floor, only. That's literally all it can do. :(

I get those too. And for the most part the robot does OK ... at least has not gotten wrapped up to the point of stopping. I will get an occasional piece wrapped around the brush, or the fan blade, but not enough to stop it. Although I do try to scoop up the bigger pieces before running the robot.

Palms are certainly messier that you would think ... with the fronds and pieces, and all the flowers they drop and now I have hundreds of black seeds in the pool ... ugh

tynymutu.jpg

There was another one like this that we had to remove a couple years ago. This one is going to have to go too. :(

Cyclonic said:
tynymutu.jpg

There was another one like this that we had to remove a couple years ago. This one is going to have to go too. :(

Wow. That palm is massive. We don't have them that big here in my part of Texas. I know a couple of folks that would easy pay you 10 thousand dollars for that tree if they could get it. (and maybe a good bit more)... Probably 100 years old to be that big.

Don't be telling me stuff like that!! There is no way to rescue it. Considering we just spent a tad over $3,000 (direct ZAR to USD conversion), the pool has priority. :( Last season when the other one was removed, they lost control and it fell into the pool. I can't even tell you how they battled to get it out. My pool was so messed up after that, the pump seized and then soon after we did the renovation. We also rebuilt the retainer wall a couple times...no more.

Back on topic, I removed the MX8 from my pool and have an old Kreepy Krauly Bullshark in use. My pool came to a standstill and I feared irreversible damage. Basically my pool renovator said the pump was faulty and it took like 5 weeks to get it sorted. New bareshaft motor and it's supposedly good again. As soon as I can get a cover on the pool I'll redeploy the MX8.

My MX8 is back in action again after I got my pump back. The 'new' pump has seen pressure return to 100% and my MX8 is in daily use. I just make sure to clean it thoroughly every few days. This means stripping it via the 8 screws (as pictured) as well as removing the paddles if necessary.

uruhegur.jpg

e8a3anuq.jpg

The swivel fitting on top of the MX8, as pictured above, can no longer be removed. It has also cracked. This will be the first part that has failed. I'll update once I've logged a service request. The unit is still working like a champ and cleaning like no other pool cleaner I've had before. :)

New to the forum and just read your MX8 history...mine has been running well since July 2012 and I thought you would get a laugh out of hearing that my only issue, and the only time I've looked 'under the hood', turned out to be a dried out, flattened frog stuck inside! I assume a bird maybe dropped it lifeless in the pool vs the MX8 (we fondly refer to him as Max) being completely responsible. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since I updated my other thread, I may as well update here too. The repairs were ultimately done out of warranty.

One gearbox was stripped and the repair agent recommended that the other gearbox be done at the same time. My marbellite pool floor was also harsh on the rubber tracks so those too had to be replaced. At the time of writing this post, at the present (horrific) exchange rate (for me), the cost was $60. A couple of hoses were replaced under warranty as they are individually serialised.

So, the running cost (for me at least) for the Zodiac MX-8 will hopefully not exceed $60 every 2 years, or $30 per year accrued. To put this in context, the unit currently costs the equivalent of $182 in my country.

It must be said that the running cost can be cheaper if you DIY and don't go via a repair agent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.