Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newish pool, cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Newish pool, cloudy water

Since I'm new to proper testing (and not the eyeball test I've used for years ) and still finding my feet, what is the general consensus on cloudy water?

My pool was renovated almost 8 weeks ago now.
    White marbellite was used.
    Municipal water was used to fill.
    Left for 21 days without using a pool cleaner.
    Up until Week 6 the water was crystal clear.
    First rain and the pool turned a pale green - shocked and blue again.
    Same story with second rain.
    Water cloudy ever since the first rain.
    Only chlorine used until now.
    Surface clean.
    Pool floor clean.

First chemical tests:

Chlorine < 0.1 ppm (I guess this is the biggest problem!)
    PH > 8.2
    Could not complete an acid demand test
    I decided to shock with chlorine until I get the pH right

Care to hazard a guess as to how I end up resolving this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newish pool, cloudy water

The very first thing to do, certainly before you shock, is to get the PH down to something more reasonable. PH should be between 7.2. and 7.8.

Then, get a complete set of water test results. Ideally you should have your own top quality test kit. Nothing can save you money nearly as easily as knowing all of your water test numbers. Failing that, get test results from a pool store. Without test results it is impossible to say what might be going on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Forgot to mention I started Pool School as of 5 minutes ago.

Lowering the pH...is that by adding acid? Regards the test kit, pool supplies here in S.A. are very monopolised. Pretty much all I've seen is this kit, which I bought:

http://www.hth.co.za/index.php/hth-prod ... -equipment

It's the top product of course. Is a 4-way test kit good enough? I've got a pool shop which does test water so that's another option, if I get stuck.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes ... keep reading:
    pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Very interestingly, I see our biggest brand here emanates from Atlanta. Who would've guessed? This is the product range I will use:

http://www.hthpools.com/Docs/HTH_Pool_Care_Guide.pdf

6. Back To Top    #6

The HTH test kit does not contain the most important test ... the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Best to order the K-2006 or the TF-100 online (see link in my signature for a comparison)

Also, the values we recommend (pool-school/recommended_levels) may be different than what they are recommending. you have to decide which source of information you are going to trust as trying to mix the advice will lead to confusion.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmm, is that not "Test" 1 where I used DPD tablets??

8. Back To Top    #8

No, the DPD chlorine test and FAS-DPD chlorine test are different. The DPD test measures FC and TC up to 5 (or perhaps 10) by variable steps, while the FAS-DPD chlorine test measures FC and CC up to 50 in steps of 0.5.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

You will definitely need a better test kit. We recommend either the K-2006 or TF-100 from tftestkits.net. Are you located in the US? I ask because I noticed the link to the HTH test kit had a different country code (.co.za) on the end. You are going to need to decide who's advice you are going to follow, because they will be different. To clear up the cloudiness, we are going to need to know FC level, CC level, and CYA level. Your current test, I believe, only gives TC levels, which is not enough.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

10. Back To Top    #10

@JasonLion: thanks for clarifying.

@JohnN: Nope, I'm from South Africa.

viewtopic.php?t=56805

Let me dig around and see if I can get a better kit before ordering online. I don't even know if we have all the products that you guys would usually recommend.

11. Back To Top    #11

For the majority of issues we manage with basic items like bleach / liquid chlorine, baking soda, muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid), most of which can be found in a typical grocery or hardware store in the U.S. About the only pool only items we ever suggest are CYA stabilizer and perhaps a metal sequesterant if required.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm pretty sure us saffers use pool-only products. I'm very interested in liquid bleach...I'm not sure they do it in bulk here so that it will be cost effective. Joining this board may turn out to be quite an eye opener for how we do pool care here.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Joining this board may turn out to be quite an eye opener for how we do pool care here.
    It has been for thousands of others, cyclonic. Hope we can help you more. Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

If I heard of these methods from a neighbour or something, I would call it black magic ie. Edit: Deleted word. Butterfly

Thanks for the welcome.

15. Back To Top    #15

I tested my water again but not too thrilled with how dodgy the results are. For the chlorine test, the DPD tablet for one is always crushed inside the foil; secondly it doesn't want to dissolve. So it "appears" that the levels are still < 0.1ppm - honestly I'm not sure though.

For the acid demand test, pH is around 8'ish....table says I should add 375ml of acid but I will do that in the morning.

16. Back To Top    #16

Just a small update, due to the dodgy results from the HTH kit mentioned previously, I reverted to not testing at all. The pool remains crystal clear but may need some chemicals that I just won't know about without testing. I should pull up my socks!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic
    Just a small update, due to the dodgy results from the HTH kit mentioned previously, I reverted to not testing at all. The pool remains crystal clear but may need some chemicals that I just won't know about without testing.
    I'd highly suggest getting a better test kit. What you propose is worse than using the pool store.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

18. Back To Top    #18

You don't recommend pool store services?

19. Back To Top    #19

Frankly no. 8 out of 10 times the pool store uses test strips, which are pretty much worthless, even if a computer is interpreting them. The 9th time they use a good drop kit, but the 16 yr old behind the counter doesn't care or isnt paying attention, so who knows if those tests are accurate. Maybe the 10th time out of 10 they do it correctly and you can trust the results.

The second half of the problem is that most pool stores don't seem to understand the chemistry, specifically the CYA/FC relationship. They are simply dealers and follow the recommendations of their chemical distributors (who provide that fancy computer tester and also don't understand the chemistry or FC/CYA relationship).

Hands down, the simplest, most cost effective way to care for pool is to do it yourself using the principles we teach on this site.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

20. Back To Top    #20

I guess I'm going to be ordering a kit online then because the only kits around these parts are the rubbish ones I'm using.