Chlorine test question

Sack

Mar 13, 2013
Waco,Tx
Alright I have a question or 2. Ive slacked off a little on testing my pool water since its still been kinda cool. But now its starting to warm up. A couple of days ago I tested for chlorine and it showed I had 0. So I added 2 121oz of 8.25% bleach to get it to around a 7 FC. I let the pool run and tested the water several hours later. It was at 12.5. Then I tested last yesterday and it was 10.5. So today I needed some muratic acid so for the heck of it I took a sample in. They showed 5.6 FC. I know yall say the pool store testing isnt all that acurate but I figure theres is closer to what it is then my testing because my chlorine shouldnt be that high with what I poored in. Im following the directions so im not sure what the deal is. Am I doing something wrong? So here are my results from last night and theres today. I did not test hardness.

Water is clear

Mine
FC 10.5
CC .5
TA 220
PH 8.2
CYA 60

Theirs
FC 5.6
CC .5
TA 202
PH 8.6
CYA 70
TH 98

Their test numbers look suspect to me, when I see pool store results having 0.1 ppm resolution in my experience it is usually a sign of inaccurate testing.

With that said, 142 ounces of 8.25% Chlorine should have raised your pool to ~ 3ppm, not 7 or 12.5...something is not right here. Check you test method against the Extended test kit directions for FAS-DPD chlorine test.

linen edit: I should have used 242 ounces not 142 ounces, thanks ping (see below)

What was the FC level before you added the bleach?

So yesterday you tested it at 10.5 and today you took a sample to the pool store and they said 5.6. What does your test say today?

If there is anything in the water you could have lost 5ppm between when you tested yesterday and they tested today.

Before I poured the bleach in it was 0. I havent tested today as im at work. I will tonight. My point was that I shouldnt have tested that high to begin with as Linen confirmed. Even after reading the extended testing im not sure of anything I did wrong

You might of had a false 0 reading on the chlorine test to begin with. That said, the amount of chlorine you put in, 242 ounces of 8.25%, should have raised your level by 5 ppm for 32k gallons. You shouldn't compare readings if the water samples or tests are taken at different times.

I would say that the pH needs to be adjusted to 7.5ish before anything else.

ping said:
That said, the amount of chlorine you put in, 242 ounces of 8.25%, should have raised your level by 5 ppm for 32k gallons.
Thanks ping...I used 142 instead of 242 :hammer: and I agree that the FC level should have gone up to 5 ppm :oops:

ping said:
I would say that the pH needs to be adjusted to 7.5ish before anything else.
Unless his FC is actually above 10 ppm still (which we think it is not), then wait till it's below 10 ppm FC to adjust ph.

Since you already have your own good test kit, you should stop testing at the pool store. Their results will NEVER be as good as yours.

Perhaps you made a testing error but comparing your results to the pool store only adds to the confusion and is not helpful.

duraleigh said:
Since you already have your own good test kit, you should stop testing at the pool store. Their results will NEVER be as good as yours.

Perhaps you made a testing error but comparing your results to the pool store only adds to the confusion and is not helpful.

I know I know. I was just curious to what they showed compared to what mine were since I thought the chlorine reading was wrong.

No he had 2 different test results one from yesterday and one today he took n to lps it dropped 5 points over night......hello.......sounds like you are ok with that you just need to keep chlorine to shock level per your gallon pool until you pass the oclt.......

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.