Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: D.E. "Cartridge Style" Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

D.E. "Cartridge Style" Filter

Is anyone familiar with a D.E. Cartridge Style filter? I was going back in forth between which kind of filter I have and while surfing the web I came across the Pentair website. I think I have something similar to the Quad D.E. cartridge style. What exactly does that mean? It looks like it's still cartridges to be cleaned and replaced, but it's D.E. none-the-less. Thanks.
    16K gal Plaster Pool (built approx. 1999)| 2HP Purex Triton WhisperFlo Pump | Polaris PB4 Booster Pump | Purex Triton Sea Horse Cartridge Filter FSH 500 (DE grids inside) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve | Compool 3-Way Valves | Chlorine/Bromine Feeder Model 320 (Rainbow Lifegard) | Laars Lite Heater | Whisper Jet II (Tropic Air) | 6'9" x 6'9" Spa
    Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: D.E. "Cartridge Style" Filter

In most respects these filters are DE filters. However, they are much easier to open up and clean out throughly. Unfortunately, they are also much worse at backwashing, so most people end up opening them up to clean out every time. All that said, the reports on the forum have almost all been somewhere between happy and wildly enthusiastic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. It definitely seems similar to the process of cleaning out a cartridge filter, but now I know what to look for in rergards to cartridges.
    16K gal Plaster Pool (built approx. 1999)| 2HP Purex Triton WhisperFlo Pump | Polaris PB4 Booster Pump | Purex Triton Sea Horse Cartridge Filter FSH 500 (DE grids inside) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve | Compool 3-Way Valves | Chlorine/Bromine Feeder Model 320 (Rainbow Lifegard) | Laars Lite Heater | Whisper Jet II (Tropic Air) | 6'9" x 6'9" Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure what this is. Thought I had a DE cartridge style filter, but this is what I got when opened up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Those are grids, the most common kind of DE filter, not a cartridge style.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Oh, and it looks as though they are ready to be cleaned.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yup. Meant to post the after pic, but deleted on accident.