Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tips requested on how best to clean pump strainer basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Tips requested on how best to clean pump strainer basket

My current method to clean debris from the pump strainer basket is to turn off the pump circuit breaker, slowly vent the filter until there is no more air draw, and then take off the strainer basket cover and clean out the basket. The problem with my method is that inevitably there is some backflow from the basket to the incoming suction line which pulls out some of the debris before I remove the cover to clean the basket. After starting up again, that upstream debris ends up back in the basket so that the basket is immediately "dirty" again.

Is there a better way to do this so that I can remove ALL the debris at each clean out?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tips requested on how best to clean pump strainer basket

Funny you should post~I'm a neebie as well and also frustrated. The way I see it; either placement of a check-valve (one way) or manual valve very near the intake of the pump. Not too sure the check-valve is advisable (may cause other problems down the road-debris slipping past skimmer/cleaner). Maybe the experts will advise?
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

3. Back To Top    #3

LA2240 -- Do you have a sand filter with a multiport valve?

If so, put the valve in the closed position and that should help with the backflow. You won't have to bleed the filter that way also.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a cartridge filter.

Why wouldn't I still have to bleed? The strainer basket is full to the cover, and I'm not dying to try the experiment of pulling it off when completely full and having gallons spill over. Or does a vacuum in the filter prevent that problem?

5. Back To Top    #5

The vacuum in the filter actually does prevent all but a tiny bit of water from coming out of the pump basket. In fact if left full it may siphon the other way toward the pool. Instead of backing out of the pump basket.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, I'll give it a try (with a mop handy).

Thanks for the advice.

7. Back To Top    #7

Follow up question on the multiport diverter valve. Mine is operated by a Compool automation system with an electric actuator. I can manually override to set the valve in any position. However, it looks like the three positions are <pool suction><both suction><spa suction>. There does not appear to be any "closed" position. In other words, the pump can continue to draw and pump water in any possible position on the diverter valve.

Suggestions further to "close the diverter valve"?

8. Back To Top    #8

Just saw that you have a cartridge filter, and since you have an actuator on the diverter valve there's no easy way to close it so you're current way of doing it is probably the best way.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Am I the only one that just turns off the pump and opens the basket without moving any valves? Water never spills out. The water in the basket drains back into the pool through the suction line. But, the filter water does not drain back into the pump ... maybe I am blessed with a sealed system or the filter actually drains a little forward to the pool through the returns pulling in air through the pump?

One of those things that I never really thought of as being complicated. Although I certainly understand if the pump was below the pool water level, valve must be used ... but I know I have read where someone would actually open the valve a bit to let remaining debris in the pump get washed out the top of the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Jason ... I'll give that a try ... I just always assumed with a full cartridge filter standing taller than the pump and with the strainer basket completely full of water, I need to drain first.

If this works, I definitely got what I was looking for by asking the question.

Thx.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Am I the only one that just turns off the pump and opens the basket without moving any valves? Water never spills out. The water in the basket drains back into the pool through the suction line. But, the filter water does not drain back into the pump ... maybe I am blessed with a sealed system or the filter actually drains a little forward to the pool through the returns pulling in air through the pump?

One of those things that I never really thought of as being complicated. Although I certainly understand if the pump was below the pool water level, valve must be used ... but I know I have read where someone would actually open the valve a bit to let remaining debris in the pump get washed out the top of the pump.
    I loosen the filter basket cover, remove it swiftly, then quickly block the inlet pipe with my hand.
    19,500gal, Gunite, Pebbletec, Chlorine, PCC2000 cleaner, Stenner Chlorine Pump, MegaCatch Mosquito Trap

12. Back To Top    #12

Although I certainly understand if the pump was below the pool water level, valve must be used ... but I know I have read where someone would actually open the valve a bit to let remaining debris in the pump get washed out the top of the pump.
    That's definitely me, or could have been me. My pump was/is below water level on both my pools and set-ups were/are such that spills were not a problem. Leave the valve open, let it flow over, dump the basket and then plunge it up and down in the flowing water to clean it out. Close lid. I've been doing it for almost fifty years.

In my old set-up the bonus was the sump got fired up and run for a few seconds.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

13. Back To Top    #13

Am I the only one that just turns off the pump and opens the basket without moving any valves?
    Nope, that's exactly how I do it. No water spills out, it just retreats back through the suction line towards the pool.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.