Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still green after 5 days

1. Back To Top    #1

Still green after 5 days

I took the mesh cover off on April 4th and tested the water. Water level was below the skimmers but above the returns, clear but a lot of algae on the bottom and walls. Water temp was 55, FC=0, pH < 6.8, TA=20, CH=90, CYA=70. I got the water level up, circulating, in balance, and started the shock process. Iíve added liquid chlorine 12.5% using the chlorine/CYA chart and pool calculator at least twice a day (to the tune of 33 gallons). Testing prior to each 2nd daily dosing the FC=0 or slightly above and the CC was high (a good thing) until yesterday. At this moment the FC=11.5 and has been holding above 9 since last evening with minor adjustments to keep at shock level. Temp=62, pH=7.5, TA-120, CH=70, CYA=40. The water is still quite green and I donít think it has improved in color at all. Iíve brushed the pool on day 1 and again today. Of course, now I canít see the bottom or even a few inches into the water. Am I on track or am I missing something? Also, I see a lot of muck going into the skimmers but when I attempted to backwash today the sight glass ran clear from the beginning. I've got good circulation but not sure I'm filtering. Ideas?
    St. Louis, MO
    33K gal, IG vinyl, 2.2 SFHP WhisperFlo pump, Tagelus 325# TA-60D 3.1 sqft sand filter (24.5" diameter), MiniMax Plus 400M heater, TigerShark robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still green after 5 days

Is your multiport valve set on filter or recirc?
    What's your filter pressure running?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/ľhp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe I am misreading, but you also mention that your FC= 0 when you add your second daily dose of chlorine? You need to keep it at shock level throughout the process.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Is your multiport valve set on filter or recirc?
    What's your filter pressure running?
    Thanks for the reply, Bama Rambler, I'm filtering. The pressure gauge is broken and showing 0. I've ordered a new one which should arrive Friday. The returns are pushing a lot of water with nice pressure and the water is moving around the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls234
    Maybe I am misreading, but you also mention that your FC= 0 when you add your second daily dose of chlorine? You need to keep it at shock level throughout the process.
    No Pauls234, you read this correctly. I've been checking/adding in the morning and again in the evening after I return from work. I understand that it needs to stay at shock levels but it depleted quickly and unfortunately, I couldn't babysit it 24/7. The FC is holding much better now but the pool remains green.
    St. Louis, MO
    33K gal, IG vinyl, 2.2 SFHP WhisperFlo pump, Tagelus 325# TA-60D 3.1 sqft sand filter (24.5" diameter), MiniMax Plus 400M heater, TigerShark robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Anything you can do to keep the level up at/slightly above your pools shocking FC level, will speed up the process. Over-shooting a little above the shock level can help it last longer, though I wouldn't make that standard process. The more you drop below your pools shock FC value, the longer it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by wollerd
    I've been checking/adding in the morning and again in the evening after I return from work.
    When you are home, I would check every hour (until bed time) and redose appropriately. At least then you will be making hay while your there.

Besides that you need POP (pool owner patience).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you linen,

I've enlisted friends and family to watch over things while I'm out of the house. Shock level is 16ppm and I've only lost 2ppm in the last 4 hours. This is much better than the past few days. The CC is <1. Patience? {sigh} I'm working on it...
    St. Louis, MO

7. Back To Top    #7

It sounds like you are making good progress now that your FC is holding longer. Just remember, don't quit until you meet all three end of shocking criteria simultaneously (they are in my sig).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

I really don't see the progress any longer. My main issue at this time is the color/content of the water. This is my first year with the pool but I did see it in the late summer and it was clear. I've retested the CYA and I settled on the averaged high side at 50, FC is holding at 22 overnight, the CC is 0, and the temp is 62. The pictures below are from day 1, day 6, and day 7. I've put a lot of liquid chlorine in (36 gal) and expect to see gray or clear water by now. Thoughts or ideas? Thanks, as always!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    St. Louis, MO

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you see any debris on the bottom?

Are you brushing regularly?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

You have it all but killed. It's that blue-gray color that shows the algae is dead or nearly so. brushing a couple of times a day or running your cleaner will speed things along a lot.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the quick responses. I have brushed but will increase frequency. I can't see the bottom but have run the Tigershark and it is picking up a lot of debris. So... my frustration is in vain? I'm still on the right track and brushing and running the cleaner should clear things up in the "near" future?
    St. Louis, MO

12. Back To Top    #12

Keep up the good work. I looked at green pool threads all last summer and the color change in your pics looks great for 1 week. After this year you might start thinking about keeping some chlorine in your pool to prevent all this work.....I haven't researched that so don't know what folks do about it now but years ago i maintained a concrete pool and they told me to just put a bucket of chlorine pucks in....that pool musta been loaded with CYA LOL.

I wonder what dumping 2 gallons of bleach per week when your pool is closed would do?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

13. Back To Top    #13

If you can, net out the debris it will be much quicker than the cleaner. Are you able to check your filter pressure yet? Make sure you are still getting a good return flow and if it seems weaker at all, time to backwash the filter. It is improving and you should turn that corner soon, but you need to help it out as much as you can by brushing and removing the debris.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    I wonder what dumping 2 gallons of bleach per week when your pool is closed would do?
    Too much bleach with no mixing can damage a vinyl liner, so this isn't necessarily a good idea.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by wollerd
    So... my frustration is in vain? I'm still on the right track and brushing and running the cleaner should clear things up in the "near" future?
    You are correct and on the right track. Remember that of the three, a sand filter will take the longest , but it will get the job done. Keep up the fight.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

16. Back To Top    #16

You might try Adding DE to a Sand Filter since I think your main problem at this point is circulation/filtration. I would generally recommend that when trying to clear any pool that uses a regular sand filter.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you all for the sage advice. Although there is a lot of muck on the pool floor I'm unable to scoop it out. The robot is doing a pretty good job but I'd say most of the problem is with the very fine particles in the water. I've read the DE article before and think that's a good idea. I'll get some in the morning.
    St. Louis, MO

18. Back To Top    #18

Day 12. I anticipated some improvement but really donít see much. Daily robot use is only picking up small amounts of dirt as expected and worms (rainy night). Still very cloudy and can't see the bottom. I think itís likely a filtration problem. I installed a new pressure gauge and the pressure has not risen until I added some DE. When I backwash I find the sight glass stays nearly clear. I visually inspected the sand in January digging down about two-three inches and found it clean without odor. No clumps. Channeling? I donít know. My numbers have looked great for 10 days. FC=20, CC=.5, pH=7.8, TA=130, CH=80, CYA=50. Any other ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    St. Louis, MO

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

What size is your filter?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

325 lbs, 60 gpm. Strong flow from both returns.
    St. Louis, MO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast