New Pool Owner

Here are my test results.
FC-0.5
CC-0.5
PH- well above 8.0
TA-70
CH-70
CYA-0

So, where do I start? Do I start the shock process or do I need to get my CYA level up? Or can I do both at the same time? I will go and get some muriatic acid tomoroww to bring my PH down.

I have added the chemicals to bring my FC and CYA level up as per the pool calculator. I have brushed the sides of the pool. Is vacuuming the bottom something to do at this time or should I be more concerned about the chemistry first? Thank you to everyone who helped me get started.

You can brush and vacuum whenever you want. Clean the filter when the pressure goes up 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Make sure you continue to test and adjust the FC every hour at the start.

That filter you have is only 2.6 sqft. It's kind of small for that pool so you're probably going to have to clean it pretty often. Since you're probably running a pretty high flow through it, they tend to make to make a noise in the multiport valve. It's no problem they just tend to do that under high flows.

What size filter do you recommend for my pool? When I first saw the pool I was like, wow such a small filter for a big pool. when I was a kid we had an AGP and I remember the filter being bigger. As I have read in pool school, bigger filters don't sell pools more horsepower does.

I have been looking for a bigger filter and finding a sand filter that is 5.6 sqft is almost impossible. It would have to be around 34-36 in diameter. I saw the chart for filter in pool school maybe I will use a cartridge or DE. What is the recommendation of these types.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyhow, I have been conducting the shocking process since last night. as of now my water test results are as follows.

FC-10
CC-0
PH-7.2 (I added muriatic acid to bring it down from well above 8.0)

As for my CYA I added half the required 7 lbs 8 oz as per the pool calculator. I know it may take a week to register on a test, but should I add the other half? I put it in a sock in front of my return.

mpool said:
I have been looking for a bigger filter and finding a sand filter that is 5.6 sqft is almost impossible. It would have to be around 34-36 in diameter. I saw the chart for filter in pool school maybe I will use a cartridge or DE. What is the recommendation of these types.

440+ sqft cartridge or 84+ sqft DE. I am not aware of a DE filter that big either.

You can get by with smaller filters, they just require being cleaned more often.

Again these are general recommendations, shorter pool seasons or less dirty environments can easily use smaller filters.

When did you add the first half? The reason we suggest adding half at a time is so that you can verify what you added got you about half way there and you do not overshoot.

You added enough to get to 30ppm, since you are ultimately going to want to get to 70-80ppm, you are probably safe adding another 30ppm. But I would certainly wait a week and test it to see how close to 60ppm you are so you know how much more to add to get to 70-80ppm.

I have been doing the shock process to get my pool ready. So here is where I am, FC-12, CC-0.4, Adding the CYA to bring it up. My concern is that I may run out of reagent for the chlorine test prior to my refill getting here, and I do not want to start over. So if that happens it their a way to just maintain the proper level of FC for the shock process. What about using the 10ml test tube, I just realized that it would of used less drops of the reagent.

Jblizzle,

I added the CYA yesterday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.