Cicadas are coming

Rocco

Dec 23, 2012
Manassas Park, VA
I live on the East coast in VA. The Cicadas are suppose to be coming between late April and mid-May. Has anyone owned a pool the last time they were around (1996). I am really not sure on what kind of impact to expect. Will they be in the pool by the thousands or more or did they tend to stay away from the pool and stick to trees instead?

We have them here every year. Because they're 17 year locusts doesn't mean they just show up every 17 years. Just that particular hatching does. Anyway back to the question at hand. I don't remember ever pulling a locust out of the pool. I do remember needing to wear ear plugs on the really bad years and this might be one of those. :?

Annandale, VA here. Yep, I've still got the same pool I had here in 1996. Didn't have any trouble with cicadas in the pool. But, they don't stick to the trees - they actually burrow in the ground. If ya ever have one flying around you like a fly or mosquito does, you'll think it's a bat or a P-51 Mustang.

Hello neighbor! I'm in Va too. The cicadas are already here but it's really funny where the pockets are. We have had none in our neighborhood, I have not heard or seen a single one. A friend of mine, however, lives one neighborhood away, she is literally about 3 miles away and her neighborhood is over run with them. She said they are so noisy you can hear them inside with windows shut and the AC going, and outside they drown out the sound of law mowers.

They do tend to stick to trees and shrubs or burrow in the ground, they're not like a cloud that descends on you or anything. Maybe you were lucky enough to miss them.

I have also been spared for the most part. I have maybe two or three a day in my pool and that is it. Just like the previous poster stated the neighborhood down the street has them all over the place but not mine. However a duck has decided to nest behind my pool waterfall so I may have some baby ducks soon.

Reactions: rickyislandgirl
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.