Pump lower than pool?

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
Will this be an issue? I want the pad to be on the outside of my patio behind the patio sitting wall. The area I want the pad is about 2 feet lower than the top of the pool. Will that be an issue for the pump?

No, but you will want to add a cut off valve upstream from the pump so you can turn off water flow when clearing the pump strainer basket, etc. This is basically the way all pumps are on above ground pools.

I have an in ground pool and my pump is below the water level, and I'm happy about this. I suspect that priming the pump could be troublesome if it were not below the water level.

Isaac-1 said:
No, but you will want to add a cut off valve upstream from the pump so you can turn off water flow when clearing the pump strainer basket, etc. This is basically the way all pumps are on above ground pools.

Im going to have a 3-way on the input to the pump, one way from skimmer and one from main drain. I can close that off which should be ok correct?

Many valves have stops in place to prevent that actually ... so you do not starve the pump. But, they can be modified to allow it by removing the stops ... you just have to be careful not to turn the pump on with it closed.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.