Leaves in pump strainer

High winds blew enough debris into our pool that the skimmer basket filled and I see a few leaves in the pump strainer. I removed the timer tripper and plan to clean the pump basket tomorrow morning. I have a Hayward RS750 with a multiport valve.

I gather the steps are as follows:
* Close both suction and the multiport and open filter air relief valve.
* Remove strainer cover.
* Remove leaves.
* Optionally lubricate o-ring.
* Add water if needed and replace strainer cover.
* Re-open both suction and multiport
* Turn on pump until primed.
* Keep pumping until water sprays from relief valve, then close relief valve.

I've never done this before. What can go wrong? Any thoughts / comments / stories? Well, maybe hold off on the horror stories until I'm done.

That is a very through list. Depending on your situation you often don't need to perform all of those steps. For example there is rarely any point in opening the air relief valve on the filter. Generally the filter will remain fill of water with the multi-port valve set on either off or circulate, and thus no need to vent it. Most of the time there is no need to adjust any valve other than the multi-port valve. The exception is if your equipment pad is below the level of the pool, then you do need to turn off the suction valve, and in some setups the return valve as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.