Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New ABG Pool Owner - Privacy Question

1. Back To Top    #1

New ABG Pool Owner - Privacy Question

Hello everyone, first post here, first of many I'm sure. We recently bought a new home and are picking up a used Doughboy pool this week from craigslist. We have a completely fenced in back yard with mostly 4' chain link, but have some 6' dog ear wood fencing along the back of the lot. In total, we have around 325' of fencing. My biggest dilemma is that the Mrs. wants some additional privacy with the pool.

My question is, do I end up replacing the chain link with all 6' panels? Do we fence in just around the pool? Do we start planting some tall shrubs? The back yards is free of trees, and we have a good amount of distance from neighboring homes, but we're looking to keep our future backyard oasis just that. I don't think we could do a full bury because there are some disconnected septic lines in the area where we want to put the pool (septic field is now on the opposite side of the yard). Perhaps a partial bury would be the solution? Any ideas that you have to help increase privacy? Thanks!
    21' Round 48" Deep Doughboy Timberline III, 9100 Gallons
    Using 80lb Media Master sand filter and 1HP Powerpak II.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New ABG Pool Owner - Privacy Question

If you have some distance to neighbouring houses perhaps a few well placed conifer trees (cedar, spruce, etc) would work. They retain limbs all along the trunk and provide a good screen, perhaps instead of fencing the entire property line a few of these placed at the correct site line will block most of the neighbours.
    Another option would be a cedar hedge, you can get them higher than a traditional fence and they provide alot of cover, you could run that along the property line.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

How about some chain-link privacy slats? They make some nice designs now, so they don't look like the old cheap ones that they used to.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    If you have some distance to neighbouring houses perhaps a few well placed conifer trees (cedar, spruce, etc) would work. They retain limbs all along the trunk and provide a good screen, perhaps instead of fencing the entire property line a few of these placed at the correct site line will block most of the neighbours.
    Another option would be a cedar hedge, you can get them higher than a traditional fence and they provide alot of cover, you could run that along the property line.

I thought of hedges, perhaps instead of a whole line of them, just site lining them would be a good option. Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    How about some chain-link privacy slats? They make some nice designs now, so they don't look like the old cheap ones that they used to.
    I think it would work, but it seems the yard to the west of us (which is divided by chain link), they could still see over the fence and the pool area. I was a thought to use that as well. One thing I've thought about was using a cloth/shade strung up around the pool to enclose it by using a few beams cemented in the ground. I didn't know how much that would affect the pool getting warm though.

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you post some pic's of the area?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    Can you post some pic's of the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be somewhere to the right of that bench, perhaps centered, or back in the corner more (though the tall trees in that corner I want to avoid.

8. Back To Top    #8

Mabe some tall grasses. Space them out a little They grow fairly large. Something different than a fence.

Just my 0.02.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

I like that idea. I'll look a few out. Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

I second the tall ornamental grasses idea. They grow fast and tall, and many of them have an interesting look in the winter too (not sure where you are located). We're looking at the slats for our chainlink, too, so you might be able to use a combination of techniques mentioned here.
    =====
    13500 gal, 24' round AG vinyl, 2 HP Waterways pump (2-speed), 150 sq ft cartridge filter 120gpm, installed 4/5/13
    Solar blanket that needs a crank system soon! Hayward electric heater, Aquatrol SWG
    Separate 300gal comfort spa, cartridge filter, bromine floater, installed 2002

11. Back To Top    #11

Just be careful the kind of ornamental grass. We put som in about 25' away and all the "pollen" stuff blew in the pool late summer. It was as bad as cottonwood in the spring. I used skimmer socks and had to clean them twice a day.

We like our oasis open like you, but our home owners association made us put trees all around. Now that the are in, I like the cozy feeling it gives. We put in 12 emerald arborvitae. Sure neighbors that are higher can see in our pool, but I say, if you look, I cannot guarantee what you will see!

Otherwise dogwoods grow fast and full. In the winter you would still have your long views.

Good luck!
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.