New ABG Pool Owner - Privacy Question

ar15

Apr 5, 2013
Hello everyone, first post here, first of many I'm sure. We recently bought a new home and are picking up a used Doughboy pool this week from craigslist. We have a completely fenced in back yard with mostly 4' chain link, but have some 6' dog ear wood fencing along the back of the lot. In total, we have around 325' of fencing. My biggest dilemma is that the Mrs. wants some additional privacy with the pool.

My question is, do I end up replacing the chain link with all 6' panels? Do we fence in just around the pool? Do we start planting some tall shrubs? The back yards is free of trees, and we have a good amount of distance from neighboring homes, but we're looking to keep our future backyard oasis just that. I don't think we could do a full bury because there are some disconnected septic lines in the area where we want to put the pool (septic field is now on the opposite side of the yard). Perhaps a partial bury would be the solution? Any ideas that you have to help increase privacy? Thanks!

If you have some distance to neighbouring houses perhaps a few well placed conifer trees (cedar, spruce, etc) would work. They retain limbs all along the trunk and provide a good screen, perhaps instead of fencing the entire property line a few of these placed at the correct site line will block most of the neighbours.
Another option would be a cedar hedge, you can get them higher than a traditional fence and they provide alot of cover, you could run that along the property line.

cramar said:
If you have some distance to neighbouring houses perhaps a few well placed conifer trees (cedar, spruce, etc) would work. They retain limbs all along the trunk and provide a good screen, perhaps instead of fencing the entire property line a few of these placed at the correct site line will block most of the neighbours.
Another option would be a cedar hedge, you can get them higher than a traditional fence and they provide alot of cover, you could run that along the property line.

I thought of hedges, perhaps instead of a whole line of them, just site lining them would be a good option. Thanks

Bama Rambler said:
How about some chain-link privacy slats? They make some nice designs now, so they don't look like the old cheap ones that they used to.

I think it would work, but it seems the yard to the west of us (which is divided by chain link), they could still see over the fence and the pool area. I was a thought to use that as well. One thing I've thought about was using a cloth/shade strung up around the pool to enclose it by using a few beams cemented in the ground. I didn't know how much that would affect the pool getting warm though.

pwrstrk said:
Can you post some pic's of the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
487536-1024wh.jpg

487537-1024wh.jpg

It will be somewhere to the right of that bench, perhaps centered, or back in the corner more (though the tall trees in that corner I want to avoid.

I second the tall ornamental grasses idea. They grow fast and tall, and many of them have an interesting look in the winter too (not sure where you are located). We're looking at the slats for our chainlink, too, so you might be able to use a combination of techniques mentioned here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just be careful the kind of ornamental grass. We put som in about 25' away and all the "pollen" stuff blew in the pool late summer. It was as bad as cottonwood in the spring. I used skimmer socks and had to clean them twice a day.

We like our oasis open like you, but our home owners association made us put trees all around. Now that the are in, I like the cozy feeling it gives. We put in 12 emerald arborvitae. Sure neighbors that are higher can see in our pool, but I say, if you look, I cannot guarantee what you will see!

Otherwise dogwoods grow fast and full. In the winter you would still have your long views.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.