Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor

1. Back To Top    #1

My residential pool has been having a lot of problems with calcium hardness and our water getting cloudy. We currently Cal-hypo briquette's and are considering switching to Trichlor. Has anyone tried tri-chlor?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Trichlor

Welcome to tfp, bsap

Just like the calcium buildup from using cal-hypo, Trichlor also has a similar problem in building up too much cyanuric acid (cya). I would suggest looking at pool school, maybe start with this article:

We likely can help you with your clouding, post a full set of test results! See:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Everything with pucks is a tradeoff. Calhypo---high calcium. Trichlor---------high CYA.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

So what would you recommend?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

Liquid chlorine/bleach.

See the link that linen posted.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6
    SouthWest Alabama

Or an swg!

I use bleach, but a lot of people have an swg. The best thing you can do right now is get yourself a good test kit and then post a full set of test results. That will tell us where you are and then we can recommend where you should be and how to get there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Howell, NJ

Yeah, bleach/liquid chlorine is the only source of chlorine that doesn't cause any side effects. In order to tell you why the water is cloudy, we will need a full set of test results. To test your water, you should get a TF-100 or K-2006 from
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.