CYA and FC levels

nicpppardo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2013
Hi Everyone!

When I started doing this pool thing on my own last month, my pool actually had 0 CYA in it (the pool guy we had for one year never added any). On Sunday, March 31, I added a gallon of liquid CYA to the pool. 2 days later, my CYA level was at 50. 3 days after that, it was at 40 and today I just measured it around 30. It seems like my CYA levels are going down as the weeks go by. Along with that, my FC levels have gone up. I was just wondering if it is normal for CYA to fall like that, especially when the pool started with 0 to begin with? Should I add more or should I wait until I get my FC at the correct level? Below are all of my numbers, just for a reference.

FC: 8
CC: 0
pH: 7.8
TA: 125 (Working to bring this down by adding acid daily, but also keeping an eye on my pH and aerating when needed)
CH: 1000+
CYA: (+-10) 30

After adding the CYA a couple of weeks ago, my FC was at 6.5 and CYA was around 50. I was trying to go for the target range of FC 4 and CYA 60 (based on the chlorine/cya chart). I reduced the percentage on my SWCG to hopefully make sure my FC doesn't keep climbing and plan on emptying some of the pool next week to reduce CH (I live in the Santa Clarita Valley, CA -- SoCal, so from what I've read here, I shouldn't be too worried about emptying less than half of the water....). But until I do empty the pool, I still want to work hard and keep these chemicals in check.

Thanks for your help!

Hello!

I am testing my water (before, my pool guy just used strips and was the one who said that, with a salt water pool, you don't need CYA... nice!). I have been using the Taylor K-2006 kit. I have not drained my water yet, but it does have an auto-filler so there is a possibility that some water has come in if the level dipped down at all.

You could try turning off the auto-fill for a while and seeing if the water level is dropping faster than just evaporation. Either water being replaced or testing error are about the only way for the CYA to drop.

It is very unlikely that there is a leak and the CH is that high. THe CYA test in my opinion is very subjective, so it is probably just normal variance in testing cya

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.