Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward heater

This is my first year I am running a heater. My question is, how do I run it? I have a 24' round pool with a H200 or H250 heater, not sure without going out to look at it. I normally run my pump on a timer. I know that the heater can have a melt down if there is no water circulating while the heater is on. I read somewhere that Hayward has a quick cooldown, not sure if this is true. I also read briefly about a fireman's switch. I did not look into that further as of yet as I don't know if that is the route I need to go. Hoping someone can help me with this one lol.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward heater

Tell us more about the timer you have?

You will need a timer with a firemans switch at the very least.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4

That timer doesn't have an option for a firemans switch. You need one that does.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it the millivolt version? Or the electric version with the transformer? (The heater, I mean).
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Millivolt

7. Back To Top    #7

Pretty sure there is a terminal that you can use for a remote switch, but I'd probably put it on a timer with a fireman's switch.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Just seen on pg 13 paragraph 4in the manual, it says heat sinks, firemans switches and check valves are not necessary on H-series heaters.