Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: algecide 60% is it safe?

1. Back To Top    #1

algecide 60% is it safe?

algecide 60% is it safe? when properly dosed.

Does it eventually get filtered out?

Have kids

peeked under the pool cover green, so i shocked it several times using about 12 bottles chlorine, nice white and milky now, dumped my algecide in.

Will this prevent any further algea growth? only need about a month before i open the pool

electric robot to stir water btw

thanks, steve
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: algecide 60% is it safe?

Algacide 60% is usually what we call polyquat, ie Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]. Polyquat is safe to use at the recommended dosage, though it isn't usually needed.

We don't recommend adding any chemicals unless you have the pump running.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

electric robot moves the water very nicely. I have a mesh cover, so am always going to get algea over the winter, so wonder if 60% polyquat is the solution?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes algecide 60% is safe. But isn't required if you're utilizing the proper chlorine dosing.

Filtering of the dead algae is what's required.

Remember the chlorine kills the nasties, the filter collects the dead nasties, and the pump circulates it all.

Deeper reading: polyquat-algaecides-mode-of-action-t48173.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

live in michigan, pool is closed with a mesh cover, thus creates algea

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

live in michigan, pool is closed with a mesh cover, thus creates algea
    It doesn't have to. start in Pool School and BBB will teach you you do not have to open to a green pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

please enlighten me.

I don't see anywere in pool school that tells you how to close a pool with a mesh cover and not get algea at start up.

I have followed there winterizing procedure.

I do know what i'm doing next year to remedy the situation , gonna add a solid cover under my mesh cover so the sunlight doesn't get thru.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by smooth2222
    please enlighten me.
    For starters this:
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth2222
    I do know what i'm doing next year to remedy the situation , gonna add a solid cover under my mesh cover so the sunlight doesn't get thru.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

The most effective technique is to close the pool when the water is cold (50F or below) and open it before it warms up again. Some algae may grow, but not nearly as much as at warmer temperatures. One can close the pool with Polyquat 60 algaecide, but it may not last all winter.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"