New AquaBot Rapids XLS and 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
tcat said:
That's good to know! Hopefully it's not a "feature" of the discounted ones! (moves slow so it scrubs better)

Curious, supposed to have a 2 micron filter, does it? That's VERY fine. The pictures look more like a leaf net. 2 micron is finer than a paint filter.
I use a 5 gallon paint strainer for the material in my leaf rake, and it picks up everything on the surface. I'm hoping the filter in these baskets is as fine.

the bags are fine, caught very tiny stuff smaller than beach sand. rinse them out pretty easily, but the bot is kinda heavy to lift up withfull water

Got the 4wd yesterday. Ran it for 1 hour and it did really good.

A couple of observations. The "baskets" do seem to be very fine mesh...you really can not even see any holes, looks almost like tissue paper. They did catch quite a bit of "grit". Seemed really good.

Also, regarding the speed of the bot, it seems like it has a program. Mine would truck along at a decent speed, then stop, backup, and then move very slow for a short while (20 sec?) before resuming normal speed. During the very slow moving, it seemed like the wheels would rotate at different speeds, which makes it turn some. This seems like it would be by design, as the turning kept it in a pretty random pattern.

It did not climb the walls very good however. My pool is freeform, and most walls are curved. It would start to climb, but then it could not ascend the wall. The few times it did climb was where the wall was not curved much. Maybe that is a factor.

Overall, it was easy to use, easy to clean, and did a really good job for only having it in an hour. It cleaned about 85% in that hour. It got late so I took it out. Will test out more this weekend.

Hope that helps folks....

BTW, the place I bought for $599 now shows it back at the normal price of $799. However a few minutes ago they sent me a Fathers Day email showing it still at $599...not sure why the website is back to normal price. Just FYI....

Interesting. Maybe tweaking the handle or something will get it to climb walls better? What's the point of the 4WD over the XLS if it doesn't climb wall well? I thought the purpose of the handle/floats on robots was for wall climbing. Happy to see it has fine mesh filters... but maybe that's why it doesn't have enough power to climb walls? I guess if it randomly goes up a few times, eventually it might get all the wall.... Walls really don't get that dirty unless your FC gets low and stuff starts growing.

caycarem said:
you seem to have gotten a perfect bot, mind to post a video for us to see how fast it goes and how often to the water line?
I want to see another bot run before i call aquabot support.

mpk1970 said:
Caycarem, something must be wrong with your unit. It is really really slow.
My unit moves pretty dang fast.
If I saw that video I would never buy the aquabot AWD. Thankfully I know that is not a true representation
Of the model's performance.

I'll try to take a video this weekend for ya

Yeah, I will keep an eye on the wall part. That is not very important for my needs really, but would be nice. I do like the 4wd in that it does not get stuck in spots like my Pentair Legend did. Biggest reason for my switching was ability to run my pool pump independently...like waterfall, etc...which i could not with a pressure side cleaner. The 4wd did really circulate the water!! It was really whirling the water above it!!

For those who bought from Poolsupplies... I got a tracking number the 6th saying it's due today (11th). But tracking shows it leaving Syracuse last Friday and no status update since. Does Fedex ground just show up without a scan update? I stayed home today to "meet" the 4WD.

edit: Guess not today. Last Fedex scan was 6/7... says est delivery 6/11, but no "out for delivery" yet... :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Guys.
I believe that FedEX ground is operated under the FedEX name but that is it. The ground drivers and trucks are not part of the regular "system". Neighbor up the street owns 7 trucks and 7 ground routes and he has told me repeatedly that he has trouble finding reliable people and that HE owns the trucks, unlike the regular FedEx company. Take that for what it is worth.
So, that being said, after doing a ton of research in here and on the web, I went ahead and ordered my 4WD on Monday morning the 10th. Just checked the place I ordered from's system, and I have a tracking number from FedEX but the FedEx system hasnt updated yet as the unit was just shipped today. I ordered mine from nationalpoolwholesalers.com for
$542.97 after a $10 coupon. I also put the purchase on my Amex card which will give you a year of extra warranty on top.
I am replacing a TigerShark Plus w/remote that is only 4 yrs old and gets used about 20 times a year. I called tech support a few days ago and told the tech the issue. Of course without seeing the unit he could only speculate that the motor was bad in it and the motor would cost somewhere around $400 w/ a 6 month warranty. Wow. I was very disappointed/frustrated and this just finalized my decision to get the 4WD unit. Time to start parting out the TigerShark...

Let's hope none of those independent truck drivers have a pool! My Fedex just got updated est delivery went from 6/11 to 6/12... just got scanned in Ft Worth, so it's only 300 miles away now. Traveling at 4WD speed.... hopefully they'll leave it without a signature (seems they always do for home delivery).

SBK said:
Hi Guys.
I believe that FedEX ground is operated under the FedEX name but that is it. The ground drivers and trucks are not part of the regular "system". Neighbor up the street owns 7 trucks and 7 ground routes and he has told me repeatedly that he has trouble finding reliable people and that HE owns the trucks, unlike the regular FedEx company. Take that for what it is worth.
So, that being said, after doing a ton of research in here and on the web, I went ahead and ordered my 4WD on Monday morning the 10th. Just checked the place I ordered from's system, and I have a tracking number from FedEX but the FedEx system hasnt updated yet as the unit was just shipped today. I ordered mine from nationalpoolwholesalers.com for
$542.97 after a $10 coupon. I also put the purchase on my Amex card which will give you a year of extra warranty on top.
I am replacing a TigerShark Plus w/remote that is only 4 yrs old and gets used about 20 times a year. I called tech support a few days ago and told the tech the issue. Of course without seeing the unit he could only speculate that the motor was bad in it and the motor would cost somewhere around $400 w/ a 6 month warranty. Wow. I was very disappointed/frustrated and this just finalized my decision to get the 4WD unit. Time to start parting out the TigerShark...

I ordered from them on the 5th and still no tracking number you are lucky. I sent a chat on the 7th asking if something was wrong with cc because it was showing precharge instead of charge. They said the order was a special order and will ship from the manufacturer in 7 to 10 business days. I said I was confused because the website said instock and I sent screenshot showing instock. My card was charged on Friday with no tracking number.

Sorry, maybe Aquabot doesn't want anyone selling below retail, or it was just a new product promo. You might look at the SharkvacXL, one I almost bought, but couldn't pass up the $599 deal. It's videos make it look like it does a better job on walls and waterline. I think I had found a couple good deals on it, but "summer promo" period may be over until fall.

Received mine too (at least Fedex says "delivered, left at door") I'm at work, guess I'll leave early today.

edit: OK I am home, box was there. After about watching for 10 minutes, my observations:

1. Moves slower than my Platinum Legend pressure cleaner, the PL moves at 32 rpm, this moves at 21 rpm. Not "that" slow, so spends more time sucking the area it's going over.
2. Baskets are great! Openings look like they'll pick up fairly large leaves and acorns (and certainly dirt), no acorns at the moment to test.
3. Seems to do whole pool (as much time in shallow as deep), but then I've only watched it for 10 minutes.
4. A little heavier than I would have imagined at 21#, but I guess they're all about that.
5. Does seem to "chug" occasionally (just stops, moves an inch, stops, acting like it lost it's mind)
6. On land it is easier to move one way easier than the other, I'm sure it's a motor/gear thing.
7. Generally moves up a wall by its length and reverses. Once it a while it will climb to WL, picture below shows that, but what's odd it stayed in that position for about a minute before it reversed. I believe it was stuck on an inlet.
BotWall.jpg

8. My pool shape is sort of kidney, large radius bottom corners:
BackyardPano.jpg

edit#2: OK one more picture. I cleaned the pool 2 days ago with my Platinum Legend. Pool was clean and today was still clean, saw nothing at the bottom of a clear pool. After 3 hours the 4WD shut off, and here's the result. Lots of gunk and snail shells that use to be in between the drain ribbing. Very cool, happy camper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.