New AquaBot Rapids XLS and 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a chance and ordered the Breeze XLS. Should arrive tomorrow. This will be my first experience with an automated cleaner. Last summer I cleaned it manually. I did inherit an old Polaris pressure cleaner with the pool, but I couldn't get it to work and my booster pump makes awful noises when powered on. Anyways, looking forward to trying this one out. Will report back my experience with it.

Also FYI- They have another set of baskets that can inside that are much finer than the screens. I was noticing that very fine silt was blowing through the stock media baskets. Their R&D department actually called me back (impressive) and sent another set to try- they work great, but are more difficult to clean. Im not sure they are on the market yet with these finer media baskets.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

jhalpinjr said:
Also FYI- They have another set of baskets that can inside that are much finer than the screens. I was noticing that very fine silt was blowing through the stock media baskets. Their R&D department actually called me back (impressive) and sent another set to try- they work great, but are more difficult to clean. Im not sure they are on the market yet with these finer media baskets.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Yes be great. I just ordered the AWD version an hour ago.

Well I got my XLS today and excitedly dropped her in the pool and got her running. Sadly, she quickly got into a repetitive pattern due to being unable to traverse the ridge where the shallow end begins to ramp down toward the deep.

I tugged the cord to adjust the pattern, and that worked -- briefly. But soon she was back up to the shallow again, and although she did manage to get back down into the deep on her own this time, she got into another repetitive pattern at the area where the ramp levels out at the bottom.

I watched as she ran various ways around the deep but always managing to avoid about half of it. It seems the sloped walls in my pool really disrupt the desired pattern of the Breeze. Frustrated, I pulled the scrubber out of the pool and watched as a fair amount of debris floated right back into the water.

Sigh.

I'll try again tomorrow with a different angle adjustment on the front wheels, but after one day with the unit I can't help but feel fairly disappointed.

RMoss said:
Well I got my XLS today and excitedly dropped her in the pool and got her running. Sadly, she quickly got into a repetitive pattern due to being unable to traverse the ridge where the shallow end begins to ramp down toward the deep.

I tugged the cord to adjust the pattern, and that worked -- briefly. But soon she was back up to the shallow again, and although she did manage to get back down into the deep on her own this time, she got into another repetitive pattern at the area where the ramp levels out at the bottom.

I watched as she ran various ways around the deep but always managing to avoid about half of it. It seems the sloped walls in my pool really disrupt the desired pattern of the Breeze. Frustrated, I pulled the scrubber out of the pool and watched as a fair amount of debris floated right back into the water.

Sigh.

I'll try again tomorrow with a different angle adjustment on the front wheels, but after one day with the unit I can't help but feel fairly disappointed.

Ah man don't tell me that. Bought the AWD today. Will get on Saturday. I'm sure it's nothing major and you will find the fix. What shape pool do you have?

I do remember reading somewhere to lift it out of water upside down....the same way you put it in.
Maybe that will help.
Keep me in the loop. I'll do the same come Saturday.

RMoss said:

Sigh.

Sorry about my misinformation before. I read this thread again. Lift the unit slowly out of the water not upside down. Also as far as the inconsistent patterns one guy on this thread said play around with the steer axle. Try that!

I'm not sure but I think the thing that was causing mine the most trouble is that the walls on the deep end are all sloped. The cross-section looks like this (though not quite so steep):

-----
|
|
\
\
\
\_______________

I think the key to removing the unit without spilling much dirt is to bring it out level as opposed to grabbing one handle and letting it come out at a near-vertical angle. Will try that next time.

Edit--well my attempt at ascii art failed, but maybe you can get the idea of what I was trying to do.

The AWD has no such problems traversing my pool with an 8' deep end. It's able to climb the 45 degree and 90 degree walls without a problem. I don't have any problems with the dirt reentering the pool when i pull it out either. It seems like everything stays within the screen boxes nicely.

This may be where it's worthwhile to go with the AWD instead of the XLS.

Also, there doesn't appear to be any axle adjustment on the AWD either.

Siamese said:
The AWD has no such problems traversing my pool with an 8' deep end. It's able to climb the 45 degree and 90 degree walls without a problem. I don't have any problems with the dirt reentering the pool when i pull it out either. It seems like everything stays within the screen boxes nicely.

This may be where it's worthwhile to go with the AWD instead of the XLS.

Also, there doesn't appear to be any axle adjustment on the AWD either.

Thats good information. Glad no problems was starting to sweat a little.

I probably won't be able to try mine again this eve due to storms. But I should add that the XLS did climb the 45's, but as it would hit the incline, one wheel hits first and this causes the unit to turn to square up with the wall, throwing it off the path it was previously on. I could be wrong here but it seemed that this was a big part of why it would just scrub, scrub, and re-scrub the same region instead of methodically covering the whole pool. For sure, though, more testing is needed, with different axel adjustments.

When the 4WD hits the 45 with one wheel, does it just climb it without squaring up to the wall?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just got a 4WD to replace an old Turbo. Sorry to say that so far I'm not impressed. I really like the screen compartments over the original's bag design, but as far as cleaning power goes it isn't close. It runs over some small grit and leaves most of it there while the turbo used to suck it all up. Seriously considering changing it out and going with a new Turbo.

twpiv said:
I just got a 4WD to replace an old Turbo. Sorry to say that so far I'm not impressed. I really like the screen compartments over the original's bag design, but as far as cleaning power goes it isn't close. It runs over some small grit and leaves most of it there while the turbo used to suck it all up. Seriously considering changing it out and going with a new Turbo.

Did you try adjusting the intake sleeves, pulling them down so they are closer to the floor? I make sure I do that every time, as they seem to want to get pushed back in.

twpiv said:

I am having same issues. Just got mine 1 hr ago. It passes over some dirt and only picks up 10%.
Very disappointed.
I don't think I can take it back despite using it 1 time at least that is what it says on Dohenys site.
looks like I'll just get the Evolution x5.

AWD actually working much better. I think the grit on the bottom of my pool was really caked on. took a few passes to loose. It up. Even took my skimmer to use the hard plastic end to loosen and it didn't. I finally took my brush.

AWD doesn't visit my deep end much.
doesn't really clean the walls very good. It has no problem going up/down but just not excel at wall cleaning?

I wonder if anybody can tell me if Dolphin clean walls good? Or do they all kinda pass over the walls with little cleaning? Do we have to revert to manual brushing the walls?

I did manual brush the walls while the AWD was in the pool so I could see the dirt coming off the walls.

I just checked the pool. Looks like my AWD friend visited the deep end and did a magnificent job.

All in all I needed to have patience. My rating would be 9 of 10.
The only reason not a perfect 10 is the lack of wall presence and cleaning.

Last update

Open up the cartridges it was absolutely disgusting. I had probably 1 inch thick sand/dirt/grit in these cartridges and many pebbles. This unit is awesome!!
Wow!

The clean up is such a breeze and easy!! Two giant thumbs up!!
My pool has never looked like this.

I had the Barracude MX8. Upgraded to the Aquabot AWD at Dohenys. Awesome Awesome Awesome!! So happy I got this unit!!!

Dohenys was awesome too! I had bought a unit then returned it for this unit. They made everything so easy. AND they have 4 payment plan like HSN.
No brainer for me.
Great customer service!!

Ran my XLS again today. Axel was set all the way to the right, which had it going in large circular patterns. For my pool, this resulted in a rather chaotic cleaning, but it did seem to cover most if not all of the pool, and it never got "stuck" that I could tell.

Also, I was able to lift the unit out so that it was level as it exited the water and little to no debris washed back into the pool.

So, overall a much better experience. It seems there is a bit of a learning curve with this guy, but it can do pretty well once you get accustomed to it.

RMoss said:
Ran my XLS again today. Axel was set all the way to the right, which had it going in large circular patterns. For my pool, this resulted in a rather chaotic cleaning, but it did seem to cover most if not all of the pool, and it never got "stuck" that I could tell.

Also, I was able to lift the unit out so that it was level as it exited the water and little to no debris washed back into the pool.

So, overall a much better experience. It seems there is a bit of a learning curve with this guy, but it can do pretty well once you get accustomed to it.

Really glad things worked out for you. What do you think about the walls? I don't think either of our units excel at that. Do you manually brush it? I did today.
I wonder if the Dolphin units really clean walls or if ppl still manually brush with those units also?

Tons of information on the new Aquabots. Thanks. My local pool store carries Aquabots and has both units in stock. Looks like it's the 4WD option for me. I do/did LOVE my Supreme, does everything: walls, waterline, steps...seems to have a lost a bit of umph and other intermittent climbing issues. Still cleans, but takes about 2 more hours to do so. And the bag.....ugh. Really a struggle cleaning it when opening pool, but once pool is clean and balanced, not an issue really. I hate falling out of love with something.

mpk1970 said:
Really glad things worked out for you. What do you think about the walls? I don't think either of our units excel at that. Do you manually brush it? I did today.
I wonder if the Dolphin units really clean walls or if ppl still manually brush with those units also?

So far I haven't seen the XLS climb a vertical wall (or steps) so I went ahead and brushed them yesterday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.