Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I usually buy my MA at Home Depot, but I was in Lowes yesterday and walked by a pile of MA and grabbed a box. Said "Contractors Grade" so I assumed it was the normal stuff... didn't look at the box until I got home. It's only 29%, "Kem-Tek" brand. Not a big deal, but the 31% Home Depot "Smart" brand is cheaper.

jblizzle said:
At least it was not the 15% stuff :shock:

I know, everyone likes to diss the 15% stuff but I prefer it to all the other concentrations. It's the identical net price, doesn't create acrid, nose and lung damaging fumes and an accidental drip on concrete doesn't create an instant hole to China which look real ugly when you get more than one of them. Is there any benefit other than space utilization and extra recycling of bottles?

From what I have seen the 15% is not 1/2 of the cost of the 31%. If you have found differently, then there is no issue either way as the net price is the same.

But, it just seems silly to pay the same price for 15% as the 31% as some stores seem to have.

Yes, I'd agree. 15% should be half the price of 30%, never equal. I pay $11.48 for a 2 gallon pack of 15% (HD) and a 4 gallon pack of 30% is $45 (pool store) . Within a dollar of each other when you multiply things out but I have to drive twice the distance for the 30% product so it ends up being a wash. I imagine those are all high prices compared to AZ.

By the way, every Lowes or Home Depot is different as to what they carry so it's tough to generalize that one retailer is good or bad. In my area only a single Home Depot out of about 15 carries "pool" acid. There used to be more but for whatever reason several stores have stopped selling it. Lowes in my area doesn't carry any "pool" acid and the muriatic they sell in the paint department is way overpriced.

Decided I like the Kem-Tek brand. The bottle has a much better cap and cap seal (it removes easily). The Home Depot bottles have always had a cardboard seal that when pealed off leaves a clear plastic film that has to be stabbed and carefully pulled off, and still doesn't come off completely. The Kem-Tek has a pull tab and peals all off. I think it was about $1 more (but you get 6% less acid%).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.