Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowes Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowes Muriatic Acid

I usually buy my MA at Home Depot, but I was in Lowes yesterday and walked by a pile of MA and grabbed a box. Said "Contractors Grade" so I assumed it was the normal stuff... didn't look at the box until I got home. It's only 29%, "Kem-Tek" brand. Not a big deal, but the 31% Home Depot "Smart" brand is cheaper.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowes Muriatic Acid

We have used the lowes MA for several years only due to they are about 1.5miles from my house. Never had any issue with it yet.

Pool Size: 20 x 40 Free Form Inground Plaster Pool w/ a shallow cove.
    Gallons : ~23K Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy e-pump 1.5HP
    Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump, AqualinkRS PDA4 Remote, Aqua-Pure SWG
    Jandy LED Pool Lights (2), Heliocol 500 Sq. Ft solar rack system

3. Back To Top    #3

At least it was not the 15% stuff
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    At least it was not the 15% stuff
    I know, everyone likes to diss the 15% stuff but I prefer it to all the other concentrations. It's the identical net price, doesn't create acrid, nose and lung damaging fumes and an accidental drip on concrete doesn't create an instant hole to China which look real ugly when you get more than one of them. Is there any benefit other than space utilization and extra recycling of bottles?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

From what I have seen the 15% is not 1/2 of the cost of the 31%. If you have found differently, then there is no issue either way as the net price is the same.

But, it just seems silly to pay the same price for 15% as the 31% as some stores seem to have.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, I'd agree. 15% should be half the price of 30%, never equal. I pay $11.48 for a 2 gallon pack of 15% (HD) and a 4 gallon pack of 30% is $45 (pool store) . Within a dollar of each other when you multiply things out but I have to drive twice the distance for the 30% product so it ends up being a wash. I imagine those are all high prices compared to AZ.

By the way, every Lowes or Home Depot is different as to what they carry so it's tough to generalize that one retailer is good or bad. In my area only a single Home Depot out of about 15 carries "pool" acid. There used to be more but for whatever reason several stores have stopped selling it. Lowes in my area doesn't carry any "pool" acid and the muriatic they sell in the paint department is way overpriced.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin
    4 gallon pack of 30% is $45 (pool store
    Wow that is expensive. I usually get a gallon of the 31.45% under $4 here (here being Fleetfarm).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Decided I like the Kem-Tek brand. The bottle has a much better cap and cap seal (it removes easily). The Home Depot bottles have always had a cardboard seal that when pealed off leaves a clear plastic film that has to be stabbed and carefully pulled off, and still doesn't come off completely. The Kem-Tek has a pull tab and peals all off. I think it was about $1 more (but you get 6% less acid%).
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

9. Back To Top    #9

Went to my local home depot and they said they haven't carried ma for 10 years. I needed it so bought a gallon at the pool store for...$10!!!!!
    16 x 32 Vinyl IGP ~22000 G

10. Back To Top    #10

Best prices I've seen is at Menard's. Reg price $5/gal of 31.45, its in the paint section.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

my pool store has 4 gallons of 31% for $20
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating