Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strips vs Drop Test (Salt)

1. Back To Top    #1

Strips vs Drop Test (Salt)

Hi everyone -

So I did a test this morning with strips and then a drop test. Difference of almost 1000 ppm...crazy...

Anyone else have a similar experience? Should I throw out the strips...throw out the drop test?

Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Strips vs Drop Test (Salt)

The Taylor drop test is more reliable, but only if you do it correctly. The color change is a bit subtile and can be missed by a drop or two fairly easily.

Also, it is important to remember that both the strips and the drop test are +-400 at best, so your results may well be compatible with each other.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Strips vs Drop Test (Salt)

If the strips have any age on them and haven't been stored in ideal conditions I'd trust the drop test a little more.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit