Need to redo plumbing - What is Spa Make-up Valve

yukonsc

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2012
Oakton,Va
This is the start of a couple questions I have regarding a project to clean up the equipment plumbing on the pool. I am assembling my parts list and trying to draw the lay out. The layout I have is similar to below - However there are 4 differences (for your reference):

1 - Spa-Make up Valves - This is really my question - I don't have one - I just a valve that selects between the pool and spa return. Should I install one - and what does it do?

2 - Skimmers - While I have 2 skimmers my skimmer lines come to together somewhere underground. I only have 1 skimmer feed to a the Jandy valve that selects between skimmer and drain.

3 - I have a booster pump

4 - I have an air pump for the spa

I'll probably end up drawing the redo out and posting it for you guys as I have some pipe sizing questions too.

Attachments

• jandy_plumbing_diagram_pg2-edit.JPG
    jandy_plumbing_diagram_pg2-edit.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 295
The "Spa Make-up" valve in that diagram causes the spa spillover to run at a low flow rate any time the pump is on. This is optional, but very handy when you don't have automation, as you don't want to leave the spa too long without circulation. With automation it is more common to just run in spillover mode for an hour each day and regular pool mode for the rest of the run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.