aquarite, bad cell?

jdfrye

Apr 7, 2013
Southern California
I picked up a complete nature soft SWG w/ t-15 cell from craigslist for $200 that was said to be working when it was replaced.
Here is my steps:
using the pool calculator I figured i needed close to 10 bags for my 17000gl in-ground vinyl pool, I put in 8 bags, then vacuumed the bottom and waited till the next day to test water at 2 different Leslie's pool stores.
they both measured 2800ppm
my other levels are
Cl 3
ph 7.6
TA 120
CYA 100
temp 70
next day took cell to Leslie's to test it before I started install and it passed. YES!! $200 for a complete system that works!!
I installed system this weekend. everything went great and turned on system which also worked great till i seen my first problem. the instant salt reading was 2400 and I got the lights flashing "check cell and low salt" I held the reset for three second and got rid on one of them. Next I did the fast flip of the switch to get the default to hold on 2900 before the instant reading settled down below the -2400 to like 2200. So i got it to generate for a few hours before it did a average and dropped the average down to where it started to blink the lights again and stopped chlorinating. :(
I added another bag and it seemed to drop the salt level on the read out even more! I figured that all the salt i put in the night before was still on the bottom of the pool. so I vacuum and check the readout after making a few passes on the deep end floor and the readout said HI salt. about a few minutes later it dropped back down to 2400 when i worked my way out of the deep end.
So that's where I'm at.
I have read the heck out of this site and forums, I have come to believe that I have a T-15 cell on its way out. But me being a frugal person I'm always trying to get a deal.
So.. do you all think I need a new cell? May I consider one of them COMPUPOOL TURBO CHLORINE CELL that REPLACES HAYWARD T-CELL-15..??
I am also waiting on a salt test kit from amazon to actually test the salt myself cause I believe you when you say you can never trust the pool store testing..boy I hope my salt is low cause it seems that I should have initially used at least 10 bags where I only put in 9
My pool is 15x30x5

I would consider raising the salt to the high end of the recommended range ... according to the independent testing. And see what level the SWG senses. That may be enough to get things generating for awhile. Most salt tests are only accurate to within 200ppm at best I think.

You should have the SWG off for a day any time you add salt.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Aloha jdfrye!

I agree with jblizzle...your symptoms don't sound to me like you have a bad generator cell.

The ACTUAL salt amount doesn't matter to your system at all...if it THINKS the salt is 2400 or 2200 ppm, it won't send electricity to the generator plates (takes too much amperage to send the spark across the water 'cuz the salt is too low). I have seen Aquarite systems that are 400 ppm different from my very careful salt tests every time...you just have to keep the salt within the range of operation for the cell, which is around 2700 to 4000 for a T-15 as I recall...and it's crazy to let it hover around 2700...most of us just try to keep it up around 3300 or so and everything will be fine.

And please make SURE you do as jblizzle said...TURN OFF the unit if there is ANY chance that you could have inconsistent salt concentrations passing through the generator cell. If you suck up a high concentration of salt while it is running, you could damage that little puppy! With your CYA so high, you probably have a high chlorine level in the pool (5-7 ppm or so?), and don't have to worry about your chlorine concentration of the pool dropping much during even a sunny day. Just brush that salt around and let the pool circulate for a couple of hours...then you can turn the system back on.

Aloha!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.