Replace three pumps with one?

Jul 7, 2012
I purchased a house with a 20,000 gallon indoor pool/spa which has 7 pumps + blower. House was built in 1990 and all was original equipment. Here's the current status:
* circulation pump (new Pentair VS)
* Pump for 6 lion heads (new Pentair 2-speed)
* Pump for 6 jets in Spa (old Pentair)
* 2nd Pump for 6 more jets in Spa (old Pentair, not yet hooked up to Intellitouch)
* Pump for 1 jet in Captain's chair in Spa (old Pentair that has a slow leak, not yet hooked up to Intellitouch)
* 2 mystery pumps (broken)
* 1 blower (broken).
* 1 Stenner bleach pump

This all started out as a complete mess. We didn't even find the underground pump room till a month after we moved in. When we did, we found two dead possum skeletons:)

With the help of my father, I've replaced two of the pumps, redone all the electrical (we now have an Intellitouch system). I'm wondering, though, whether we can use a single pump for the Spa (to run the 12 jets plus the one big jet in the Captain's chair. I don't have any desire to selectively turn on/off jets in the spa; I want them either all on or all off.

If we can do that, that'd leave us a pump or two with which we can replace the mystery pumps and see what they do.

Notes:
All plumbing is 2" lines.
Pump floor is about 6' below the pool line.

I've enclosed pictures of the pool (with the lion-head pumps on), along with pictures of the pump room.

indoor5.jpg

indoor6.jpg

indoor1.jpg

pumproom2.jpg

pumproom6.jpg

pumproom10.jpg

Can you read the HP ratings on the old pumps? Different kinds of spa jets need different flow rates. If those are high flow jets they might use too much water for 12 of them to be run off of a single pump, even an IntelliFlo.

The 3 pumps are each 1.5 HP.

Although I originally stated they were Pentairs, I was confused because they were marked Whisperflo. They are WhisperFlo, but the manufacturer is Criterion (?).

Could it perhaps be Centurion? That is the motor manufacture and Pentair makes the pump. It looks like at least one of the motors had been replaced which is why it is black while the pump housing is tan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.