Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace three pumps with one?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace three pumps with one?

I purchased a house with a 20,000 gallon indoor pool/spa which has 7 pumps + blower. House was built in 1990 and all was original equipment. Here's the current status:
    * circulation pump (new Pentair VS)
    * Pump for 6 lion heads (new Pentair 2-speed)
    * Pump for 6 jets in Spa (old Pentair)
    * 2nd Pump for 6 more jets in Spa (old Pentair, not yet hooked up to Intellitouch)
    * Pump for 1 jet in Captain's chair in Spa (old Pentair that has a slow leak, not yet hooked up to Intellitouch)
    * 2 mystery pumps (broken)
    * 1 blower (broken).
    * 1 Stenner bleach pump

This all started out as a complete mess. We didn't even find the underground pump room till a month after we moved in. When we did, we found two dead possum skeletons

With the help of my father, I've replaced two of the pumps, redone all the electrical (we now have an Intellitouch system). I'm wondering, though, whether we can use a single pump for the Spa (to run the 12 jets plus the one big jet in the Captain's chair. I don't have any desire to selectively turn on/off jets in the spa; I want them either all on or all off.

If we can do that, that'd leave us a pump or two with which we can replace the mystery pumps and see what they do.

All plumbing is 2" lines.
    Pump floor is about 6' below the pool line.

I've enclosed pictures of the pool (with the lion-head pumps on), along with pictures of the pump room.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Replace three pumps with one?

Can you read the HP ratings on the old pumps? Different kinds of spa jets need different flow rates. If those are high flow jets they might use too much water for 12 of them to be run off of a single pump, even an IntelliFlo.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The 3 pumps are each 1.5 HP.

Although I originally stated they were Pentairs, I was confused because they were marked Whisperflo. They are WhisperFlo, but the manufacturer is Criterion (?).

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

Could it perhaps be Centurion? That is the motor manufacture and Pentair makes the pump. It looks like at least one of the motors had been replaced which is why it is black while the pump housing is tan.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

While a little off topic, what a beautiful pool!!!!
    17.5K IG Pool with Spa spillover and fountain, Plaster Finish, Purex Triton CC420 Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo XF VS motor, Laars LX GasHeater, Polaris 360