Usage in Ohio

Mar 30, 2013
Hello all,

I'm curious - to my fellow Buckeyes, how much use do you get out of your pool? How many months and on average how much per week do you use it during peak season.

We're kicking around getting one but are concerned about usage. We have 2 young kids and I think we would get a lot of use out of it for the few months of good weather, but I want to be realistic.

So what say you?

We have the pool ready for Memorial day and use quite regularly until school starts. Once school starts we might as well close it because nobody uses it after that. So, I would say we get a full three months. After that, it's not used very often. Once it's open though and until that point I would say it's probably used every day, maybe not for a long time but there's usually somebody using it each day.

It is a big investment so you just need to figure out how much your family would use it. We have two year old twins and they love it and always want to go swimming. Good luck with your decision.

I am in central Ohio. Our previous pool (we are in the process of building a new home and pool) we opened last year april 13th, and was swimming by end of april because of our heat pump and solar cover. We did not close the pool until beginning of october, and we really used until middle of september and a few times after that when the weather was warm enough. We used it almost every day during that time... Hope that helps!

tatertot09 said:
I am in central Ohio. Our previous pool (we are in the process of building a new home and pool) we opened last year april 13th, and was swimming by end of april because of our heat pump and solar cover. We did not close the pool until beginning of october, and we really used until middle of september and a few times after that when the weather was warm enough. We used it almost every day during that time... Hope that helps!
I'm further south (Cincinnati) but this describes my experience as well. My pool was opened last week - and with the heat pump, we should be swimming before the end of the month.

thanks for the post - we are in/near cincinnati also, entering 4th year w/ our 26k gal pool and love it. thinking about a heat pump purchase so, Mike_k, what size is your Raypac and is the addition of the pump able to get you near 80 in april? thanks again.

rgividen said:
thanks for the post - we are in/near cincinnati also, entering 4th year w/ our 26k gal pool and love it. thinking about a heat pump purchase so, Mike_k, what size is your Raypac and is the addition of the pump able to get you near 80 in april? thanks again.

I have the 8350. If I turned it on yesterday I'm confident that I'd have at least 80 degree water today. Problem is, of course, is that highs tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be in the 50s. If we could shift the week so that we had weather like today on the weekend it would be great. This is my second year with the pool, so I don't have a good feel yet on if the heat pump was worth it or not. I do know that I used it a lot last year.

I'm in Southwest Ohio just like Mike. I"m opening mine this weekend. We use it quite often, almost every day through the warmer months once the water is to a managable temp. We swim until we feel it's too cold, and that depends on the seasons, which seems to be lasting longer now.
I've been throwing around the idea of solar heating the pool to extend my season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.