Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the difference

1. Back To Top    #1

ontario canada

What is the difference

1600 GPH Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump versus the 1600 GPH Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Saltwater System ?

I have an intex pool and need a new filtering system , many recommend the 1600 GPH but I see there are 2 of these one being a SWG system, does this mean the first one does not have a way of turning the SW into chlorine? I dont know which one I should be getting here.
    Intex 16' round 42" deep SWG pool , 15,094 L water capacity ,1000 GPH Intex Filter Pump Krystal Clear Model 637

2. Back To Top    #2
    NE Kansas

Re: What is the difference

The salt water system uses the salt cell to generate chlorine from the salt in the water. (requires you to add salt to your pool water) The standard (non salt) system doesn't. (requires you to use liquid chlorine for sanitizing)
    Read here for more: pool-school/salt_water_chlorine_generators
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: What is the difference

I wouldn't get the one with the saltwater chlorinator (swg) built in, if it fails then you will have a useless appendage attached to your pump or vice a versa. If you want a swg, then buy that unit separately. Also, although the 1600 is a decent pump/filter, generally you can get the 2650 pump/filter for not much more, and this pump is considered better if you want to vacuum with it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.