Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mold in heat pump pipe?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mold in heat pump pipe?

I am looking forward to beginning my second pool season and I plan on spending a lot less on chemicals on it now that I've found this forum!

Over the course of the summer I got some (now I know was bad) advice.....I had someone tell me that if I'm not going to use my heat pump, I should close off the valves to it and not let water run through it as that could break the heat pump. The plumbing does have shut off valves to isolate the heat pump from the rest of the system, so I closed the valves to the heat pump.

Last fall I had a company come in and close our pool. When they were putting anti-freeze in the pipes they said the pipes for the heat pump smelled awful. I assume I have some mold growing in them from the standing water. They went ahead and winterized the pool and it's still closed and won't be opened for another 3-4 weeks.

I left this issue to deal with when I open the pool. Would anyone agree that the smell is, indeed, mold from having stagnant water? And, if so, what is the easiest fix? Try to kill the mold with bleach (or something else....) when I open or replace the pipe before I open?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Matt
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mold in heat pump pipe?

If it is mold, just raise the FC level to the high end of normal (after opening) with the heat pump in the loop for a couple of days and you should be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I like that answer. Finally an easy fix to something! Thanks!
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.

4. Back To Top    #4

So why are the valves there? All I can come up with is to repair or replace the heat pump. Is there any other reason to have them? I can shut off the water upstream and downstream. It seems a bit overkill since everything is above the water level and just drains back to the pool when the pump is off.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, they're most likely there in case you need to isolate the heater for some reason, like to repair a leak.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Those valves are very handy when you are doing a no drain acid wash and don't want the acidic water getting into the heater.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School