Polaris 360 Setup

Apr 7, 2013
Re: How is Polaris 360 different from Polaris 380?

I just bought a 360 to replace a total waste of pool cleaner aka "Hayward" vibrational....

I thought I could just plug the 360 into my dedicated return line and have at it. But I've now seen the light and see it is a "pressure side" cleaner.

Can it run on a return line? Thank you!

Hello all. Just bought a 360 and hope I can use it.

I don't have a dedicated booster pump.

I do have:
1 skimmer return
1 dedicated return line that I ran my old cleaner from
6 pressure jets
2 drains
13,000 gallons
SWS
Hayward two speed pump 2.4/.28 BHP; 1.5/.18 FRHP/1.60SF - whatever this means

Can I run the 360 on the return line?

THANK YOU!!

The Polaris 360 operates without a booster pump, so if you have a dedicated return then you should be able to run it. You'll probably have to be able to turn the rest of the returns off or at least restrict them greatly for it to work, but if you had a pressure side cleaner in the past that shouldn't be a problem.

I plugged it in to the dedicated return line and it did nothing. It would seem that I would need to reverse something internally if it is designed to work with pressure vs return flow.

I'm sure I'm not thinking about this right.

Thank you for the help.

No, the 360 is a pressure side cleaner. You should be able to hook it up to a return and use it. You can probably convert the old suction port over to a pressure port without too much problem if it's plumbed back to the pad.

Post a pic and we can give some ideas.

I hate being a NOOB! But I'm trying/learning I guess.
Thank you for the help.
Here is a picture. Only question is, is doing this safe and efficient?
Thanks a ton Dave, you are very helpful.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 166
Your system is more complicated than you initially indicated. Can you take a pic of the main pump area and label the plumbing where it comes from and where it goes to?

Also, what's the other pump for? Spa, water features, etc.?

Here is a better image from on top of the unit.
From the left...
A dedicated pump to three waterfalls
The main pump with intakes/outtakes to a spa w/ heater
Cartridge Filter
Heater
There are two drains, one skimmer and one dedicated suction line.
There are 6 pressure outlets to the pool and about 10 or so to the spa.
Oh, and an UltraPure water cleaner that no one seems to know how to operate, so it is unplugged. But I would love to learn how to make sure it is on... :-D

You are the bomb!!! Thank you so much for your help.
Brett

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 132

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave,

Looking at the two different pics it looks like the valve closest to the black pump is open and the pipe coming out its right side might be the main suction. The other valve right before it looks to be partially open but not sure it is not fully perpendicular to the other two possible intake pipes. You are way more of a expert than I am.

What a maze of pipes. That is quite a setup. 3 water falls man that is killer.

Here is what I found in the Ultrapure manual.

Pool Water Testing Test the water regularly using a water test kit.
Test Bromine Ideal Range 2.0 ppm
Free Available (FAC) 1.0 ppm (minimum) Total Chlorine (TC) Up to 0.5 ppm above the FAC reading pH 7.2 – 7.8
Total Alkalinity (TA) 80 – 120 ppm Calcium Hardness (CH) 200 – 300 ppm Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) 300 – 1200 ppm

Testing For UltraPure™Automatic Water Cleaner™ Efficacy USING THE ULTRAPURE™ AUTOMATIC WATER CLEANER™ AND CHLORINE/SALT OR,AN ALGAECIDE AND CHLORINE

1.Use a DPD Test Kit to periodically test for Free Available Chlorine (FAC) and Total Chlorine (TC). As long as the difference between TC and FAC is less than 0.5 ppm,the UltraPure™us doing its job (i.e.removing contaminants which form combines and use up chlorine).

2.Using UltraPure™,a Mineral Based Biostat or an Algaecide and Chlorine. Test for TC only.The TC level should be maintained at about half the normal (regional) Chlorine level (TC = 1.0 – 3.0 ppm).

3.When products contain sequestering agents,they tend to mask the FAC level. Only the TC reading is valid.

4.Periodically check the pH level and maintain it between 7.2 – 7.8

I have seen in most of the threads here ozone is a waste of money. That is what the Ultrapure is.

Jerry

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

So if there is, you can just run that dedicated return to the pressure side and all is good?

It would seem you could put more lines than were intended on one side vs the other and cause problems? Or it might not be enough to make any difference.

Is that what you had in mind?

You da man! Thanks.

It might just be easier to send back the 360 and get the Baracuda MX8 :-D

I really appreciate your help.

I probably need to get someone out here to label my valves...

There are still questions I have.

Wy don't I have bubbles any more when I turn the spa on. There is a "open" tube that points down that used to suck air in and it was audible, but now there is nothing. Thought a mouse or something went down there and stopped it up, but that is unlikely.

Have a great Sunday, sir!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.