Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Our pool finally finished filling this morning after having the plaster, tile, and coping all redone. So, I get the filter turned on, backwashed real good, refilled with de. Then I put in 2 jugs of bleach. I knew FC was at 0 and since it took a whole week to refill the pool, I knew it needed a lot. Then I came inside for lunch. Figured I'd let that circulate a while then I'd go do my full water testing and see what else to add. Well, then my husband gets home from running errands and goes, "What did you do to the poo??" I was like, "I just added bleach and turned on the filter, why?". Our pool is full of yellow water. Like, it literally looks like we filled it up with pee!! Oh my gosh. What did I do?? Please don't tell me I'm like ruining our brand new plaster right now!! I went ahead and did my full water test.

pH: 8.2 (at least...)
FC: 2.5
CC: 0
TA: 240
CH: 110
CYA: 0

So far, I have added 4lb out of the recommended 9lb from pool calculator for stabilizer. Also have added the 3qt 1c of muratic acid to lower pH. Need to run to Leslie's for some calcium hardener since we don't have any at the house. The water test came back negative for metals, but I do know my husband still added a bottle of MetalOut while it was filling to make sure we wouldn't end up staining the new plaster. Any other recommendations about my yellow water??

That is almost certainly being caused by iron in the water reacting with the high PH and addition of bleach to form micro-crystals that tint the water. If you bring the PH down to something reasonable and continue with the CYA addition the color should go away. If it doesn't, adding some sequestrant will take care of it.

Darn it. The pressure on the filter ended up around 18 or so by the end of the day so had to turn it off. Wasn't home all day so just turned it on again. Still up about 16-17. I know in supposed to be running it continuously for 48hrs per the cya instructions. But I can't with such a high pressure, right? And I shouldn't try to backwash since I'll just wash out all the cya I just put in! Is it just so high because of the cya that hasn't dissolved yet? Should I just run it as frequently as possible until the pressure either lowers or it's been long enough I can try to backwash again? pH is currently 7.5 and FC is about 1.

What is your "clean" filter pressure? We recommend backwashing when it goes up 25%, but letting the system run a bit higher shouldn't hurt anything.

It sounds like you put the cya directly into the water in the skimmer? That is not our recommended approach...we suggest putting it in a sock and either placing the sock in the skimmer or hanging it in front of a return (my personal preferred method).

Why do you think that 18psi is high pressure? Many members see 30psi and the equipment is designed to 50psi.

What is your normal clean pressure?
How did you add the CYA? We recommend putting it in a sock in front of a return jet.

Right, sorry. Normal clean pressure normally runs in the 10-11 range. Our filter plug blew out when pressure reached about 30 a couple months ago so I've been leery to let it get too high again! I did add per instruction on the bottle right into the skimmer. :eek:/

That's just one of the reasons we don't recommend following container instructions.

Where did your fill water come from? If from a well, I'd say go ahead and add a startup dose of sequestrant for new plaster. You don't want to stain the new plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.