Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Liners and how they long they should last?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Liners and how they long they should last?

Last year, after 12+ years, I took the plunge and converted from Baquacil to Chlorine and never looked back. Pool became unequivocally beautiful from the switch. At the end of last season, I drained my pool below the skimmer level, and it just kept on draining! Apparently, the pool liner finally gave in, but am wondering if this was due to normal wear and tear or perhaps had something to do with the conversion to chlorine? My wife seems to think the initial salesman (business no longer exists) said the liner should be expected to last 20 years ... that seems kind of long.

Will be getting a new liner in the next few weeks and I won't mind if it lasts another 12 years, but any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
    1) 10,400 gallons
    2) Sand filter
    3) Above ground
    4) Hayward Powerflo LX, 1 Hp

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pool Liners and how they long they should last?

Liner lifetime is quite variable. I would say that 8 to 15 years is typical, but it can be quite a bit shorter to a bit longer depending on circumstances.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: Pool Liners and how they long they should last?

That plus premium grade liners are likely worth it. I once had a cheap liner that started failing in 3 -4 years.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~