Why does my pebble tec have purple staining?

Apr 7, 2013
Hi all, I'm looking for help as my pool is empty and it's another 90 degree day in phx. I just drained the pool as the solids were off the chart and I have no idea how old the water was (bought house 1yr ago). Now that it is empty you can see that the pebble tec has purple streaks and spots at the transitions of the steps, on the bottom and around the autofill port. It also has really light spots on the bottom where it looks like someone may have tossed chemicals in and bleached the bottom. Before we bought the house, the pool had the thickest calcium build up I have ever seen at more than 1/8" thick. Other info you might want to know:

The pool has a gas heater that appears to have water going through it all the time.
The purple stained areas are shiny, almost like it is wet in those spots or has created a shiny coating.

What is the purple staining? Can I or should I get it off? Is it related to the heater? Any help would be appreciated!

Tom
[attachment=0:2bdoqqbg]Image 0014.jpg[/attachment:2bdoqqbg]

Attachments

• Image 0014.jpg
    Image 0014.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 117
Here are a couple more photos to help with the visual of it.

[attachment=1:mb46ew5q]Image 0008.jpg[/attachment:mb46ew5q]
[attachment=0:mb46ew5q]Image 0007.jpg[/attachment:mb46ew5q]

Attachments

• Image 0007.jpg
    Image 0007.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Image 0008.jpg
    Image 0008.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Image 0007.jpg
    Image 0007.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 110
Those look like they could be manganese stains. Try putting some dry acid in a sock and place the sock against one of the stained areas for half an hour. If the stain goes away, or lightens dramatically then it is manganese.,

Often, purple stains can be due to the presence of a high amount copper and a high CYA content which reacts under certain conditions and precipitates out as a purple residue.
Following the dry acid treatment as Jason suggests will also work on removing this type of stain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.