Replacing spa light with color LED

wetwilly

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I'm going to replace my 120v spa light with a color LED from Pentair. I've already got the old light and wiring removed - wasn't easy. I have not purchased the new light yet.

I am considering switching to 12v for safety reasons. I have read other threads that indicate when properly installed, 120v lighting is not a safely issue, but
12v would feel safer to me. I also plan to put a color LED light in the main pool in the future.

I am comfortable working with 120v wiring around the house (when the power is off).

My questions are: Would I need 2 different 12v transformers one for the spa and one for the main pool? I assume the transformer(s) would not mount inside my
EasyTouch panel and that the EasyTouch should be switching the 120v to the transformer rather than the 12v transformer output to the light.

If I stick with 120v lighting, what do I need to do to make sure it is safe? Maybe the answer is - hire a pro. I understand the need for grounding, but don't quite get the whole
bonding issue with pools if that is even a concern here. My guess is that the niche was bonded when installed, but I don't know how I could confirm that.

In case it is relevant, the pool and spa are about 13 years old. Thanks for any advice.

- Bill

You can check the original inspection document and it should have passed a bonding inspection. If it did, they most likely ensured that the niches were bonded. Another thing you can do is look for the bonding wire in the junction box. Metal niche lights are required to have two bonding wires one outside tied to the pool bonding loop and one inside the conduit. Other than bonding, they should be on a gfci and if they're 12 volt, they have to be powered by a transformer listed for pool service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.