raise CYA question

my numbers today

FC 7.5
    ph 7.5
    ta 70
    ch 320
    cya 60

temp 72 degrees,

I want to raise the cya to 75 based on calcs numbers and tfp recommendations, I have natural chemistry conditioner from my neighbor liguid, active ingredients are 35% monsodium canurate monohydrate and 65% spray adjuvants, can I use this for cya increase and would I use this based on the pool cals numbers? The cals says to use 1 quart 1 cup and 5 ounces. Also can I test it again immediately if pool is circulating or do I need to wait like solids?

Thanks,

roth
    13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,
    TF-100 Test Kit, Seminole, West Central Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: raise CYA question

Yes, you can use the liquid conditioner. It costs more, but if you already have it then you might as well use it. When using liquid conditioner, you can retest the CYA level after one hour with the pump running.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks J looking at my above numbers in florida you think I should do what I planned above or leave it alone? I did borate and it looks the best it ever has in years.

Thanks again.
    13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, it is worth raising CYA, especially since it is early in the swim season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks again Jason.

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the highest one can safely go when the sun is hitting the pool very hard?? I live in Puerto Rico (Caribbean) right now @ 84 degrees, is 75cya the max going safely ??

7. Back To Top    #7

It's less a matter of safety and more a matter of practicality. Higher CYA means higher minimum FC level for maintenance. The bigger issue is in the case of an algae bloom or other problem, shock level gets really high (21 for CYA of 75).
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

You can certainly raise CYA to 80. Going higher than that starts to make things challenging.