Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lots of corrosion on coverstar cover parts

1. Back To Top    #1

Lots of corrosion on coverstar cover parts

Went out to check out the pool the other day and noticed lots of corrosion on the leading edge tube where the grounding strap screws to it. Checked other side and grounding screw has come out. Opened lid down by the motor and found lots of corrosion on the tube the cover winds up on. Do I have a grounding problem? Stray current? Called pool builder for another question and still haven't gotten a call back since early last week. Pool is 4 1/2 yrs old. How do I check for stray current? Would post picture but I cant figure out how to post it.Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hans Deters

Vinyl inground pool. 20 x 50. Pentair 3hp Intelliflo pump @ 1600 rpm. Aprox 45,000 gal. Coverstar cover. Salt generator. Sand filter. Built July 2008.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lots of corrosion on coverstar cover parts

You might want to try adding a zinc sacrificial anode, basically a block of zinc connected to the bonding wire and buried in the ground. The zinc should corrode before the aluminum cover parts corrode, protecting the aluminum.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Lots of corrosion on coverstar cover parts

Thanks. Where do I get the zinc. Do I place it like a fuse between the ground wire and the bonding wire in the pit where the motor is? How bad does this look?
    Hans Deters

Vinyl inground pool. 20 x 50. Pentair 3hp Intelliflo pump @ 1600 rpm. Aprox 45,000 gal. Coverstar cover. Salt generator. Sand filter. Built July 2008.