Spa light - tripping/shorting

Feb 26, 2012
I have a pool light and spa light both which i believe are on the same breaker. A year ago they were both working fine. The pool light works fine as well, but if at anytime you try and turn the spa light on , it renders both non- functional. I then need to reset the breaker. Then the pool light works but spa is still the issue.

New spa light?

I had the same issue, but mine was shorting out somewhere else. The fixture was dry inside. I ended up replacing all of my pool lights with LED's. My other 2 lights had issues as well, one was full of water and corroded and the other would never seal right after replacing the bulb. If you are unable to fix it check around for prices because they vary by a lot. I got some decent deals on ebay for my lights.

Outside of actually removing the light and trying to replace the bulb, is there anyway to pinpoint if I just need to replace the bulb or actually have to get a whole new light fixture?

Based on some old documentation the previous owner had when the pool was built all I see under "Spa Light" is Spa Light:100. Not sure what brand or manufacturer. Most everything we have is Hayward so I'm guessing it it Hayward.

The "Pool Light" is listed as Pool Light: FX.

So I put some goggles one and took a better look at the spa light in question under water.

The glass/lens part almost looks like it has some built up yellow stuff in it. Not sure if it's water. If you imagine the circle light about the bottom 1/4 of it looks like something leaked into it (could be water) but it's yellow colored. The spa light was working find up until about 3 months ago.

Any ideas? And when I say yellow it's like yellow yellow not light pee yellow.

Alright so I have some images this time. Thoughts? How can I figure out what size replacement light I need to get? Are they standard size?

Attachments

• 106_0421.JPG
    106_0421.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 106_0422.JPG
    106_0422.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 32
If i remove the spa light and determine its totally shot. Am i am to ho a period of time without that light in till the replacement arrives? Do i have to worry about it draining through the hole? Apologies if this is a ridiculous question.

Usually the niche is designed to be wet.

If you remove the screw, you should have enough wire to put the fixture on the deck and then open it to get the bulb out. Looks like rusty water in there to me. Hopefully you just need to dry it out and get a new bulb and gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.