Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa light - tripping/shorting

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa light - tripping/shorting

I have a pool light and spa light both which i believe are on the same breaker. A year ago they were both working fine. The pool light works fine as well, but if at anytime you try and turn the spa light on , it renders both non- functional. I then need to reset the breaker. Then the pool light works but spa is still the issue.

New spa light?
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa light - tripping/shorting

The spa light might be leaking at the sealing gasket, or have some other simple problem, which can be repaired rather than replacing the entire fixture.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I had the same issue, but mine was shorting out somewhere else. The fixture was dry inside. I ended up replacing all of my pool lights with LED's. My other 2 lights had issues as well, one was full of water and corroded and the other would never seal right after replacing the bulb. If you are unable to fix it check around for prices because they vary by a lot. I got some decent deals on ebay for my lights.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

4. Back To Top    #4

Outside of actually removing the light and trying to replace the bulb, is there anyway to pinpoint if I just need to replace the bulb or actually have to get a whole new light fixture?

Based on some old documentation the previous owner had when the pool was built all I see under "Spa Light" is Spa Light:100. Not sure what brand or manufacturer. Most everything we have is Hayward so I'm guessing it it Hayward.

The "Pool Light" is listed as Pool Light: FX.
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

5. Back To Top    #5

So I put some goggles one and took a better look at the spa light in question under water.

The glass/lens part almost looks like it has some built up yellow stuff in it. Not sure if it's water. If you imagine the circle light about the bottom 1/4 of it looks like something leaked into it (could be water) but it's yellow colored. The spa light was working find up until about 3 months ago.

Any ideas? And when I say yellow it's like yellow yellow not light pee yellow.

6. Back To Top    #6

Alright so I have some images this time. Thoughts? How can I figure out what size replacement light I need to get? Are they standard size?
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

If i remove the spa light and determine its totally shot. Am i am to ho a period of time without that light in till the replacement arrives? Do i have to worry about it draining through the hole? Apologies if this is a ridiculous question.

8. Back To Top    #8

Usually the niche is designed to be wet.

If you remove the screw, you should have enough wire to put the fixture on the deck and then open it to get the bulb out. Looks like rusty water in there to me. Hopefully you just need to dry it out and get a new bulb and gasket.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!