Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine and Ascorbic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine and Ascorbic acid

I'm trying to get the chlorine level in my pool to zero so I can acid clean to remove the iron stains, but it's taking a very long time. On March 27 the FC was 4.5 and I turned off the liquidator. This morning (10 days later) the FC is 2.0. My question is how much ascorbic acid would be consumed by the chlorine at 2.0 ppm? I only have 5 lbs of AA so I don't want to waste much, but I have to go out of town next week and would like to get started asap.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine and Ascorbic acid

I've never double checked this number but it is supposed to be about 3.5 oz for each ppm of chlorine in 10,000 gallons, or 1.5 lbs to neutralize 2 ppm in 35,000 gallons.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorine and Ascorbic acid

OK, thanks for the quick response. Guess I'll continue to wait until the chlorine finally goes to zero. Never dreamed it would take this long, but it has been cloudy or overcast most of the time.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)