Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to look for in a used AGP? Pump/filter size?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to look for in a used AGP? Pump/filter size?

So, we were wanting to buy a hard sided pool, but it looks like our budget won't stretch that far for a new one once you add in the correct filter, pump, etc.

I saw a used pool advertised on Craigslist today and when we called about it the lady said she had just sold it. She called back a couple of hours later (thanks to caller id) and said the other person had backed out of the deal (the other person "bought" it sight unseen and the seller was going to deliver it to the buyer when the buyer called and backed out of the deal).

So, we are going to go and look at it tomorrow. Here is the only details I know

24' round pool - soft sided, grey in color (seller does not know the brand, selling for her elderly parents and the pool is in storage)
    50" deep
    sand filter
    ladder
    volley ball net
    solar cover
    cleaning net
    all tubes, etc.
    sand
    pool was new in 2010
    seller is asking $350 obo

What do I need to look for as far as the size of the sand filter/pump (is this all one item?)

Any brands to stay away from?

What else do I need to know?

THANKS!!!!
    2014 Used 33'x54" Wilbar Morada,deep end approx 28,800 gal.
    Hayward S180T1580S pump/filter combo,
    Pentair Aqualuminator light/return, Aquabot S2-50
    TF-100 kit, Initial fill with pond water
    South Central Iowa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to look for in a used AGP? Pump/filter size?

If it were me, I would look a little longer for a used hardsided agp pool. I assume soft-sided means something similar to the intex design, and once the liner is done the pool is done too.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Good point.

I just found an Esther Williams, several hours away. It says it has a Hayward pump. Is this a good brand? 24' round, $375
    2014 Used 33'x54" Wilbar Morada,deep end approx 28,800 gal.
    Hayward S180T1580S pump/filter combo,
    Pentair Aqualuminator light/return, Aquabot S2-50
    TF-100 kit, Initial fill with pond water
    South Central Iowa

4. Back To Top    #4

I have heard that ester williams is a good brand. It is best to buy a used pool that is still installed and functioning when you go look at so that you can inspect it closely and make sure everything is working. This thread may be of some help: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-removal-t37997.html

The price sounds decent, though you will have to judge that after you see the state of the pool/equipment.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

From what I have read on here you should always assume a used pool like you are talking about will need a new liner

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~