Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA thoughts

1. Back To Top    #1

Atlanta, GA

TA thoughts

I decided to try a local pool store instead of Leslie's. I walked in, knew what I wanted (in this case, muriatic acid, Cyanuric Acid and DE). I asked to see the concentration of the Muriatic acid and the guy said "how do you know all this stuff?". I responded and another guy perked up (who worked there). Turns out he does the borate thing (like me) but said, while he respects most of the stuff here, that he really disagrees with the TA and how it is mostly ignored here. I have to say it's one area I never focus on too much. Borax raises, muriatic lowers and at the moment mine is low (just opened today but it's at 50 and I figure I need to be at 100). The guy actually helped me immensely as I was also looking for a T-Cell stand (really just an end cap on the Hayward salt cell so you can clean it), he sold me a union with a cap (about half the cost and probably twice as reliable).

So to bring this back to topic, what is the general consensus of TA and it's issues on here? Am I missing something or was he confused? Is there a dismissal of TA's importance?

Just for reference, I have a 24k gallon vinyl pool, I do borates (I aim for 50 at opening), also have a SWG.

Also as a side note, does CH really matter for vinyls? mine seems a bit low but I don't want to raise it without reason.

One great comment from this guy. "Phosphates are a bunch of bullish*t". He said this in the pool store at the counter out loud. Instantly had a bunch of respect for the guy
    40x20 Vinyl Inground (27,000 gal). SWG with Pentair 48 DE Filter.
    Also have a broken Polaris pump with no polaris and a broken AquaCal Heat Pump...inherited from last owner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: TA thoughts

TA is important for some pools, especially those with high CH, and then keeping it lower can help prevent calcium scaling. Another place is in combination with swg's, since they tend to cause ph rise which can happen quite fast with high TA. Pool with aeration from jets, or waterfalls also benefit from lower TA.

Other than that, TA often does take care of itself. When ph goes up, and MA is added to lower it, TA goes down a little. This happens over and over until the pool finds it's happy spot for TA. If you do not want to add acid often, then a more proactive approach can be taken to get TA low...but that certainly is not necessary. Unfortunately, if your fill water is high in TA (which many have, mine is typically close to 300 ppm), then that upsets this natural stabilization.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

What he said ^

Low CH isn't a problem with a vinyl pool. TA will come down eventually if pH is adjusted. But when you have huge CH numbers like I do, and water restrictions every few years, TA is about the only thing you can adjust to maintain the CSI without having pH go out of the safe zone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Borax raises, muriatic lowers
    Just to clarify, borax raises TA negligibly. Baking soda raises TA.

while he respects most of the stuff here, that he really disagrees with the TA and how it is mostly ignored here.
    I'm not sure what he means. Did he explain how he thinks it should be addressed differently?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School